Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on these forums before but never with much consitency. I used to frequent the outdoorsbest forums back when I lived in Colorado. I started flyfishing about 2003. Before that I fished with anything else. We used to live in WA prior to 2003 and I would hit up Point no Point with hardware from the beach, always got into Coho's. I would also hit it below the Agate Pass bridge, but never really caught anything there.

I became a serious Fly Fishing addict while in CO! To the point where I had to take a step back. ;) We then moved to MT where I fly fished some more but not as frequently as in CO...well, maybe not as hardcore. ;)

Then we moved back to WA. We now live in Bremerton, I work at SafeBoats and build aluminum boats for the DOD and have been back nearly 3yrs! Out of these three years I've really only fished 3 or 4 times or so, twice from Fay Bainbridge and on 2 rivers, one in eastern WA and on the Hoh just last week.

I sold most of my FF stuff, now to my regret. Although I did keep a few things such as my Orivs 5 wt., waders, boots some flies basically the basics!

At Fay Bainbridge I had some chases but never hooked up. On both rivers I hooked into Steelhead twice, both pertty large fish, but I lost because I was under powered. On the river in Eastern WA I got bored of not catching anything and borrowed my friends 3 wt. Sure, as soon as I did this I hooked into a what I though was a log... ;) Needless to say, I wasn't able to turn this steelie, it went areal on me and pertty much owned me by breaking me off. Made me feel kinda small... ;)

Then two weeks ago a friend took me to the Hoh. All I had was my 5 wt. I had no clue what I was doing, all I wanted to do was catch a steelie on a fly. I bought a full sinking line cause I wanted to get deep. Once there I realized this was a mistake, but screw it, I was going to catch me a stinking Steelie. We were up from the Oxbow and found a nice pool at the tail end of a riffle. I figured this was best for my full sinking line as I could just let it get down, then let it swing and strip it back. Sure enough, BAM! hooked into what looked like a good sized steelie! Fought it for a good while, my rod was nearly doubled over, I holler at my friend to help me land the fish. No net, had trouble handling the fish due to it's size (it was huge), got him close enough for my friend to grab it by the tail, but my buddy was a little inexperienced on the sneak up/finesse mode and just ran towards the fish, scaring the fish back into the deep and up the run. By the 3rd time, the fish came off and left my hook bent!

Adrenaline was pumping, fish was lost and rod broke, cracked in the center section. 2nd piece top section.

Ok, so I need more of this, I've got steelhead fever! Two close encounters, both lost fish and I'm determined to land 'em the next time. Rod is back at Orvis for repair. I'm in the market for a switch rod and want to chase steelies as much as time/family will permit me to go.

I'm maried and father of 4 youngsters so time is hard to come by, but my wife loves me and lets me run sometimes! :) Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
I'd definitely recommend waiting til you get a bigger rod to do the steelhead thing. It's not fair to those fish to be fought on undergunned gear. But it sounds like you got the hooking up thing down! I know plenty of guys who wait years for that to happen

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a switch-rod, not sure which way to go though. TFO, Beulah or R.B. Meiser. I want to try them. I know I can try the Meiser rod, but it's almost double the price of the other two I mentioned. Still researching. Thinking of going 7/8 wt

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a switch-rod, not sure which way to go though. TFO, Beulah or R.B. Meiser. I want to try them. I know I can try the Meiser rod, but it's almost double the price of the other two I mentioned. Still researching. Thinking of going 7/8 wt
I'm quite the fan of Echos myself. I have an Echo SR 7wt, and the thing is such a sweet stick with an Airflo 40+ 9wt line on it.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Welcome! I have a Beulah 10'6" 7/8 switch I really like, but I also am quite fond of my 10' Echo Ion 6-wt . . . nice rod. I typically use the Beulah or a 9'9" 7-wt GL-3 Loomis when I'm anticipating larger Steel, however.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
What in the hell is in Bremerton? I lived there as a kid until I went into the service. Boy, was that ever a long time ago. It feels like several life times ago.

This has nothing to do with this thread. Just talking about Bremerton brought back many memories.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Peninsula Outfitters in Poulsbo has a few different switch models and can get others that you might choose. The Beulah rep has been there for casting demos too. Drop them a line and see what they have and they can get you going. I know they have TFO, Beulah, Redington and Sage rods. Nice report. Getting outfitted with the right sized rods for the fish you seek will be good for you and good for the fish.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Welcome to the zoo. I threw up
in Bummertown...SafeBoats is a good
place to work, knew some guys there,
Lots of fishing options in Kitsap county but for Gods
sake move out of Bremalow City.

Dave

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Welcome aboard. I work in Bremerton, at PSNS specifically, and know a guy or two who used to work at Safe Boats before coming into the shipyard. I'd echo the advice of hitting up Peninsula Outfitters. That way you can get some rods in your hand and get headed in the right direction. I would not recommend chasing steel with a 5 wt again in the future. As someone mentioned, its really not too fair to the fish. If you have the need to get out before you get yourself a heavier setup, let me know I'm sure I could loan you a rod.

Nick

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS: I was looking at the Beulah's at Peninsula Outfitters, I was thinking the 7/8 Switch or the 7/8 Surf Switch. Then I got wind of the 7 wt Reddington CPX Switch which is an 11'3 7 wt.

I think I've narrowed it down to those. I'm partial to the Reddington only because of Sage and the closeness/convenience of them here for any warranty/repair work.

From what I have read I hear the CPX's are great rods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.