Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just got back from my first Rocky Ford trip. So I can't compare it to previous experiences. It's a unique fishery. I managed to hook 12-15 fish before noon the first morning, certainly didn't land them all on 5x flouro. The fish were pretty lethargic early in the AM, then between 9 and 10 am, most fish moved out into the flows and started actively scudding. Pretty cool to watch fish stir up scuds/midge larva from the bottom vegetation then circle around and pick them off as drifted downstream. If your size 16 scud or hare's ear was there it was go time. Small brassies 18 or 20 also accounted for some fish. Weather was nice, but some wind hampered the sight fishing at times. I'll head back over sometime to check it out again. Good luck. Steve

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I fished it 3 weekends in a row.....last weekend was the break in that chain. mornings are good...by noon is constipated with algea and sludge. I normally use 5x. go small, midge pupae, chirono's and the likes. it was turning on and off when I was there. a couple days they got real aggresive in the afternoon. Evenings showed some light hatches - took one on a dry. its been okay i guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too was over for my first time a few weeks ago. We didn't get there until 2:30 or so. Sun was out and the water full of garbage. Not much above the fall but I took three out just below. All on blue winged olives. Nothing below the surface. It's kind of cool sitting there at watching/listening to them sipping on top. Overall it was an okay experience. Not too much accessible access from the bank.

DB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.