Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Middle of last week, I was fishing over at Martha Lake, west of Arlington, and I saw these huge chironomids. They had already hatched, but I'd say the adults were at least size 10 and definitely amber in color. There weren't that many, but their presence were certain. Naturally, having never seen this type before, I wasn't prepared with an imitation. Then again, I also didn't notice any obvious feeding activity from the trout. Has anyone seen chironomids like this before? If so, where and when?

By the way, I did score three just-released hatchery rainbows on a Thin-Mint Leech pattern--my favorite stillwater spring fly. The fish were at least 14 inches. I've been wondering if a fly that more resembled dog food would have been more productive.

·
SANCHO!
1,692 Posts
I've seen this on a couple local lakes also. One local crap hole (Blackmans Lake) and another one a ways outside of Monroe. In both these lakes the fish were feeding heavily one them. I ended up chopping up a stonefly to match it as best I could.

As for all the new hatchery fish, I'll have to send you one of my liver pellet imitations. heh.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be more precise than the the impression that I left, it was the particular fish I caught on that particular day that was the focus of my derogatory remarks. The lake itself has produced some wonderful fish that I have managed to land. If I'm looking to take home for the table, my conscience prefers to take from planted lakes. It's as simple as that, except that my enjoyment of the endeavor is proportional to the skill extended and/or effort expended. I think that syndrome is called "a sense of accomplishment." Considering the nature of fly fishing, is it not true that most of us enjoy it that much more for the learning curve and then the skills and knowledge that arrive?

As far as fishing the moving water, I'm working on that. There is that learning curve, you know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.