Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has an older fiber Hyde drift boat. He said it's a low side boat. It's an older model. He's not sure how old , doesn't have the title with him.

It's sat for 3 years and he's willing to sell it.

What are some things that I should be worried about on an older fiberglass drift boat? Also what is a fair price?
Boat Automotive lighting Automotive tire Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Well, no title on boat, you'd only have to worry about title for trailer.

I'd look at the hull of the boat for severe cracks/scratches. Also look at the inside for wear of the fiberglass.

Looks like he had the hybrid boat. Not sure if they still make them. The hull was glass, but all the accessories/seats, etc were aluminum.

Unfortunately, not sure on the price. Haven't priced the Hyde's. I'd say maybe $3-4k depending on the age and what all he's tossing in with it and the overall condition.

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
Jerry is pretty close on pricing. Looks like it has normal wear and tear, interior rubs, scratches and such. A dealer will up the price by at least $1,000.00. If you were to buy the used boat from Hyde, it does get the once over touch up treatment. Put the plugs in it, and fill it up with about 6" of water and let it sit for a while to see about spider cracks. Just looking at the underside and chines of the boat will tell you a lot. The seat boxes are an upgrade and are great for storage, as well as the (possible) counterbalanced magnum oars. It appears you will have the option on the front seat to be pedestal or box. Spare looks to be never used. If I remember right, the serial number for the boat is located on the back transom to the right of the anchor pulley. Calling them and giving them the serial number won't cost a penny to find out information. The chines look to be in great shape, and it should clean up pretty easy. Get it out in the sun and give it a wash. That will tell you what you need to know.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Trying to figure out a fair price.
Buying a car/boat from your buddy is sort of tricky... Normally the goal is to get it as cheaply as possible, so if this was on Craigslist I would probably offer the guy $2k (since it's been sitting for years) and see what he counters with and be willing to pay $3k or maybe $4k depending on the actual condition and age. But maybe you don't want to lowball your friend right of the bat haha. He also has to expect that he isn't going to get the same price from a friend as he would if he took the time to find a buyer who was looking for that specific boat. It's hard to know.... Let us know what you guys land on.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure you know how to row a drift boat and/or are capable of learning the skill
Are there courses that you can take for this? I have rowed my pontoon on the cowlits and sky when the water was at lower levels. I have a basic knowledge of what to do, but dont want to take chances and risk other peoples lives in the process.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Are there courses that you can take for this? I have rowed my pontoon on the cowlits and sky when the water was at lower levels. I have a basic knowledge of what to do, but dont want to take chances and risk other peoples lives in the process.
I think some of the fly shops offer those courses, but you should just find someone who knows how to row and will float/fish with you for a day to teach you the basics. There are probably several guys on here who would do that. I basically taught myself by reading lots about it and watching youtube videos. Just make sure you start out on an easy stream. The Yakima canyon is a great place to learn because there isn't much down there that can get you in trouble. There are actually some really technical spots on the Cowlitz. If I were you, I wouldn't try to row that river for your first time out on the sticks in a drift boat.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Even the "experts" sink a drift boat every now and then...
And there is "risk" involved every time out. ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Reds fly shop in Ellensburg offers a course to learn to row a drift boat

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I sold my 1995 model, which is similar, a year or so ago for $3450.
View attachment 127778
It had the enclosed bow storage, was always garaged, and came with cover.
They're good boats, I just had too many or so my wife thought.
You didn't marry my ex, did you? She came up with that crazy concept of "too many boats" one time. Good grief!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.