Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today the senate is supposed to vote on some "gun control" measures, including adding the "no fly" list to the NICS checks. Cornyn's bill requires the government, within 72 hours, to go to court to prove they're right, and the person in question should NOT be allowed to purchase a firearm. Now like any reasonable person, i have to assume that if there's something that prevents either party from showing up-conflicting schedules, etc, that the court can extend this period until both parties can get together. That's reasonable, isn't it? But the anti-gun democrats are claiming the "bar's too high". WTF?? How is that too high? Are they refusing to vote for this measure (which I fully support) because it allows due process? Someone wanna explain how you should be denied due process because a democrat doesn't like you? I thought that the presumption of innocence was one of the basic tenets of our jurisprudence! Based on some of the stuff I've read, there are democrats out there who a)haven't got a fucking CLUE what they're talking about, and b)think all gun owners are mentally defective-i'm sure you've all heard that we're "compensating" for a small dick, right? Or are they not voting for it simply because the evil NRA supports it?

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Or are they not voting for it simply because the evil NRA supports it?
We HAVE a winner! That, and it wasn't a Democrat proposal . . .

Gotta run - too much coffee (which can pose a challenge since I'm a gun owner, some of them black & evil-looking . . . aim with a small "gun," miss occasionally, lol) . . .

G

·
Did you know there is nothing legally barring a convicted felon from holding office in the House or Senate?

Also did you notice I said "holding office" instead of "serving in"?

People "serve" their country in the military. Those in the House and Senate are there for a variety of reasons, but serving the American citizenry is so far down the list you'd need the Hubble telescope to see it.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
This congress fails us every single time they cannot find a way to pass these reasonable gun control measures. There isn't a single person on the Senate floor who thinks suspected terrorists should be able to buy firearms, but they still can't unf*ck themselves long enough to compromise with one another. This cycle is seemingly endless and such a waste of time, effort, emotions, lives, etc. etc. Are we at the point where we just have to accept mass shootings as part of American culture? Before you release the hounds, you should know that I own an AR and fully support law abiding citizen's right to obtain them, but it should have been impossible for Omar Mateen to walk into a gun store and buy that weapon. Apparently, our congress does not agree. What a joke...

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Personally, I believe that the Republican-sponsored measure would have been a good step forward. And I only own 3 ARs & a good AK . . . I did relay my support of that bill to our illustrious Senators, but they don't seem to respond to my letters anymore. Oh well, I'll just keep trying, lol.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Guns and gun control are such political hot potatoes that Congress can't pass intelligent legislation. Therefore if they pass any at all, it will probably be of the shit for brains variety.

The version that includes due process makes sense (finally). It's too easy for an innocent American to be placed on the "no fly" list, and there is NO mechanism for having one's name removed from it. That alone makes the suggestion that people on the "no fly" list shouldn't be able to purchase a gun a fatally flawed one.

I recall the story of a lawyer in Portland whose name was on the no fly list. He didn't know it until one day when he tried to purchase airline tickets for his wife and himself. He has a Arabic sounding name that is the same as some actual Arab of the same name. Presumably that's how his name got on the list. This was probably four years or so ago. I don't know if he's ever been able to get his name off the list since there is no method for removing a name. Hope the guy already has all the guns he'll ever want.

The proposal is sensible if it includes due process, but only is and when there is a viable method for people whose names are on the no fly list that don't belong on it. How fvcking trustworthy is a government that can create such a list without including a means for getting off of it?

Sg

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Salmo - Both versions of the proposed bill (the Republican and Democrat version) had language included to protect the rights of people who were mistakenly placed on these terrorist watch lists. It was the semantics they couldn't agree on which led to neither being passed. I'm not an expert on how these FBI lists operate, but the Orlando shooter was able to get his name removed by not committing any crimes so it would appear that there are ways for people to get off the list.

I agree with @Jim Ficklin, the Republican version was probably the most logical, but the Dems wouldn't get behind it. Likely just because it had the green light from the NRA. It was just a revenge tactic considering nearly every piece of gun legislation they have ever proposed has been blocked by the NRA backed Republican Senate. All four of the bills voted on yesterday were defeated almost exactly along party lines. This hyper-politicized government we have in DC leaves a very deflated feeling in my gut. It has become apparent that our law makers do not care about anything other than the politics involved. They don't care about people's lives, 2A rights, opinions (considering 85% of Americans agree that terror suspects shouldn't be allowed to purchase firearms), common sense, nothing... It is only about beating the other guy, plain and simple.

Perhaps Susan Collins' plan will gain some traction, but I'm not going to hold my breath....

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
considering that, since 1950 (according to DOJ stats) all but 3 of these "mass shootings"-as defined by DOJ as 3 or more people-have been in "gun-free" zones, I'm packing ALL the time and EVERYWHERE. Here, all they can do is tell you to leave, so I figure they can enjoy having their panties in a wad. I don't give a shit. And i'm also increasing my range time to every 3 days. So I may have to get a progressive reloader! When I was in the service, we put between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds downrage in a week, easy. Maybe I need to bring myself back up to about half that.

ONe of my buddies is also trying to pick up a Walther PPK-S, because it's the same frame size, and holds one more round than the PPK, but Walther's OUT OF THEM!! in .380, it's the most popular gun available right now! So I wonder why that is, there's plenty of other stuff out there. Apparently though, none so highly thought of that the iconic James Bond gun. And it IS fun to shoot! I guess if you see somebody walking thru the mall with a tux, he's probably packing.........and don't forget to demand "shaken, not stirred"!

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I also carry almost everywhere it is legal to do so & spend a great deal of time at the range. As for establishments that arbitrarily prohibit firearms, typically those don't see my business but if I have cause to visit them I carry - "concealed" is just that & done properly one will never be "made." Have your buddy look at the Glock 43 9mm single-stack (or the Glock 42 .380) - both are emminently as concealable as my PPK/S, ultra-reliable, accurate at self-defense distances and comfortable to shoot. I find myself carrying the 43 more & more although the Walther goes along on quick trips & sees a lot of use during shorts & tank top weather. "Something" is always readily available at home; a friend asked one time "Why?' My response: "You are aware that 100% of home invasions occur in the home, are you not?"

Do they make shorts & tank tops for formal occasions?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
A little thread drift. It was free rental at the range last Wednesday, so I tried the .380s they had, the little Sig 238 (I think) and Glock 42 because I'm still interested in a pocket carry gun. The Glock is a little larger, doesn't have great sights, but I was consistently more accurate with it, . . . accuracy being a relative term. It's a good fit in my hand. I also learned that the Ruger LCP is a really bad fit, so that's off the list.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Ruger LCP is a really bad fit
That is also a tiny gun that is definitely NOT comfortable to fire a bunch of rounds through in a single sitting. I helped my Son add night sights to his 43, which was accomplished easily and at a reasonable cost. He also added stick-on, textured grip covers but I don't like those because they tend to adhere to loose shirt material & can tend to compromise desired concealment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.