Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys better be careful fising in Eastern Washington.
Every time I went to Lenice, Chopaka, Jameson or further east. Up near Twisp to go hunting, I ran into Rattlers.
I never killed a snake just because it was a Snake, but down here they do.
Those Rattlers, could have made a lot of anti-venom if they'd kept them alive.
Anyway, look at this;:hmmm:

I took a lease on a piece of land where there are plenty of deer roaming around. I put up a stand in a nice place where several game trails cross; but because of some obstacles I encountered getting to my stand last Saturday, I've decided to forego any more attempts at bagging a trophy deer this year... So, if anybody wants my deer stand for the rest of the year, it's open to any one who would like to take a stab at it.

WEll, the photo of all those dead Rattlers didnt come through.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
thudpucker
Rattle snakes are easy to avoid.
Make some noise as you walk along or tap a stick on the ground ahead of yourself.
Stay out of rock piles, esp. if you think there might be a snake in one.
Rattle snakes are our friends, they keep the tourist away from our treasured waters.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Fishing the smaller creeks around Ellesnburg can be fun. Lots of Rattle Snakes. Generally they are easy to avoid. Be careful and look before you step over logs. I once came across six or seven in one day fishing on Nanum Creek. They aren't really aggressive and if you nice to them they'll be nice to you. They are also on the Manastash Creek drainage. Just be careful.

Keith

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, "Keeping tourists out of the Neighborhood...."

I used to hunt Rattle Snakes in El Paso and sold them to Texas Western University.
They are actually kinda hard to find, and catching them can be a contest.
We had to have them alive.

On Bivouac, in a Tent, I always worried about them though.

·
259 Posts
I nearly took a whiz on one when we pulled into Lenice after dark last summer. Between them, mosquitoes, and swimmer's itch, I imagine they keep the lake protected from tourists. Oh yeah, and scorpions. And gale force winds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lenice is the lake where I ate my first Rattle Snake meat. It was good too. Later on somebody told me I might have been poisoned if I ate the flesh of a Rattler if it had been bitten by another poisoous snake recently.
Where would we have gone for the truth in the days before the Internet and Snopes? :)

I remember the Winds at Lenice.
We had to carry the little pram back and forth from the lake to the Pickup.
That wind was so bad sometimes It blew me toward that Barbed wire fence that was down stream.
Eventually I began to drag the Boat.

I had to Duck-boat on that water. Rowing sideways to go up the lake.

But of all the lakes I fly fished in Washington. I liked Lenice. No crowds. Big Fish. Quiet too....but that wind!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.