Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
college... time of my life right? WRONG! this so called time of my life has a habit of taking up all my fishing time... luckily i only have 2 weeks left of the semester and as soon as i can bust out the doors i will be either knee deep in a river or bobbin around on a lake somewhere. I live in spokane, anybody know any local water that is fishing well at the moment? i dont care species, size, or numbers, i just need something on the end of my line! PM me if you so desire...

Tight lines and stay thirsty my friends,

-Connor

·
Registered
106 Posts
DD,

It's funny you mention that because that's exactly what I'm thinking as I sit here writing a paper for class (actually, procrastinating on WFF). My college time is getting in the way of my fishing time for sure. Hopefully down the road our college times now will actually increase our fishing times later when we have stable and well paying employment - hell, who I am kidding, I'm getting a philosophy degree.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Best wishes to you both to find strength to stay in school. It will be over soon and there will be fishing to be done. As for philosophers, lots of time to ponder all things ponder-able while on clear flowing waters!

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
The differnce between you and I........

I graduated in 6 years (fishing and having a hell of a time)
You will graduate in 4 years (limited fishing, not so fun)

Good for you, but college is pretty easy. Have fun; its the best time you will ever have and the last period of your life where you can fuck off without consequence. Take advantage of this.

·
Alex Yerges
16 Posts
Well I'm in Spokane as well and the best water I've seen has been on Amber lake, Crab creek fished ok for us last week, and we did the Yak awhile back and did ok there.

I agree with the other guys here Enjoy what school has to offer.
Just got done at Eastern myself and now work eats up way more time than class ever did.

Good luck and keep grinding!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Remember these words....You will never have more work and more free time than in college. So don't waste them. Later in life you will have more demands on your time, career, family, etc. Fishing time will always be precious. How can I say both work and free time? You will never have as much control of your schedule.

As for a college education, it is worth it if you pursue a valued degree. I spent last week visiting a turkey processing facility. I wish I could take my boy there and show him the value of an education. Hordes of workers in the processing line all day chopping certain parts. It wasn't pretty and they were paid pennies. Is a degree the path to the easy life? Not necessarily. But, it can open opportunities that life may otherwise close (some cases unfairly). Who said life was fair?

So a degree in philosphy? Does that mean you learn a little about a whole lot of topics until you learn nothing about everything? :eek:)

Joe

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Ditto what Panhandle and others say: You will look back fondly on your time in college when the pressures of real life press on you during your adult life. Seriously.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
thanks guys... im actually getting my degree in environmental studies with a minor in biology so hopefully sometime in the future i can figure out a way for us all to catch more fish!
Cut class + go fishing more = catch more fish (I was a math major)

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Fish now, because when you are out of school. You will have to get a job, work your ass off 40 hours a week or more and then you will only get to fish weekends because you are too damn tired to fish any other time. Enjoy your freedom now.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Wait until you have a real job, family, mortgage, bills, lawn to mow, house to paint, garage to clean, etc., etc., etc. Don't knock it. You have more time now than you ever will in the future. You have to make your fishing time. It isn't there like now. Or you can stand under the freeway holding a sign advertising you labor for a meal. Then when will you fish?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
College, like everyone said, is a great time. When I was in college, my part time winter job was "ski instructor" which gave me a little pocket money and ski passes so I skiied a lot. I would advise you look to your future job as one that you can enjoy. If you can find one that allows you a lot of free time, so much the better. I went on to dental school (I know, more school) but I ended up doing something I really love,and with 3 1/2 day work weeeks and 8 weeks of vacation per year, I have lots of time to fish, hunt, ski, and hike! If you can find something to do like I'm fortunate enough to do, you are golden! Rick

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
It's all about having some perspective. I spent 3 years in the marine corps to pay for college. I still can't believe how easy school was by comparison, plus time off and women. Like the guys have said, count your blessings, you'll work somewhere around forty years of forty hour weeks to appreciate what a sweet deal you have now. Patience grasshopper.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.