Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys post the lakes you fish, would it be possible,on a routine basis identify where the lake is located. It would help to find the lake easily on a map etc.
Don't all shout at me. Its just a suggestion.
I have seen many of our guys come back with replys asking where the lake or stream is located.
Of course this suggestion does not apply to the OLD MAN he fishing for "Beavers"
tony:7 :7 :7 :7

This is not a good suggestion relative to the response of the current audience. If you have a secret lake or a pond then don't post the GPS coordinates.
But for the guys that have only general knowledge perhaps it might be a good thing to tell us name of the lake or stream and perhaps what county it might be found in.
Sorry to raise such a touchy subject. Slap my face.;(

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
I have a suggestion too

Good subject Tony. I would also suggest using the MapServer that Chris put in the site. I just pumped in Jameson and went right to it, zoomed out and got a good idea of where it is (I already knew). It should work for most lakes.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a suggestion too

Problem is that there are a lot of lakes and streams that are not on map-server. Also the references to nearby towns or roads do not always show up on the server. At least if we know what county,or near what Town the stream or Lake is located then we can use a road atlas to get to and from.
tony:7

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW, you are saying we are not all prepared to help out our fisher friends. That suprises me.
Surely it is the cast of the fly that determines the value of a "hidden" lake or stream not the location.
tony

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I will help out where ever it might help. I'll give the name if it 's well known and you don't know how to get to it. But to find out where the good places are that is one thing you have to find out by yourself. I'll give the general area but the rest is up to you. I gave out a zipper place one time and the next time I went back all the fish were gone. Exploring is half the fun of fishing.

Jim

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oh god, here we go again.

I believe what my boy Sparse is saying is NOT that some of us aren't prepared to help out fellow fisher friends, but more along the lines of: I'd rather not post the GPS coordinates of the places I fish because I'd rather not show up next time and have to fish next to fifteen dudes, thank you very much. Some places just can't take the pressure of too many people, especially if it's people that don't look after the resource.

And I'd have to disagree with you as to what constitutes the value a "hidden" lake or stream, it is the location. If you don't think that's the case, there is a super secret spot out in the desert, this beautiful spring creek that flows into a large lake. It contains some really big rainbows, and the fishing is super technical. I don't care what fly your fishing at Rocky Ford, it's not a hidden stream. In my opinion, I have a heck of a lot more fun catching big browns in some hidden desert stream than standing next to fifteen dudes and having the fly that works while they don't, combat fishing just isn't my game.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Oh ******, where art thou?

:rofl .. cant we all just get along?? MODERATORS :p ???

If anyone is ever in my area I am more than happy to take you up into any of my zipper lip places :thumb

as a wise man once said "fish on"

EDIT: BAD TONY!!! HOW COULD YOU??? ;) :p }(

~Patrick ><>

·
Be the guide...
5,183 Posts
Lighten up a bit. If people don't want to share some specific info - nobody can make them...

You'll notice a lot of folks give out lake names in their posts and assume everyone knows what they are talking about. For example - Silver Lake. There is probably a silver lake in every county in this state - and in some counties, more than one. The original request makes perfect sense in this scenario.

I don't mean to be rude because I really don't know - but it just makes me wonder - is there some sort of ego stroking going on when the same folks continually try to remind the others on this board that they have some secret lakes full of legendary sized fish that they only share with their closest buddies and that everyone else should all be jealous of their knowledge and godly fishing abilities?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, this is always a fun subject. For starters, the main problem I have with spilling mass info on locations is that you have to realize your not talking to one person, but in fact, hundreds of people. I know a crap load of people who routinely "lurk" for info because they know that a lot of stuff gets talked about on this site. Why not send a PM or a email???? I do it all the time. Tactics, patterns, how-to's, etc. those are the things that I love about this site. Not locations. If you fish a place and see nobody there, why in the world would you come to the internet and spill your guts?? I will never figure that one out. :dunno YT:smokin

G

·
IveofIone
Ahh,yes! This touchy subject surfaces again. Always fun, always entertaining as it kind of polarizes those of us who have an opinion(almost everybody!). Sharing information on flies, lines, techniques etc. is really helpful and I would bend over backwards to share what little I know with anyone that asked. On a lake I will give honest answers to questions asked and share fly patterns if asked, always hoping that what goes around comes around. But I will certainly stop short of blabbing about waters that have taken me many years and miles of driving to discover. I see a couple of groups represented on this board-one group that primarily wants to catch fish, the other group that aspires to be real fishermen and fisherwomen. The first group tends to fish the name-brand waters and the Central Washington Parking Ponds and get very good at it. They know the where, what and how of a few popular waters and seem very concerned about the number of fish they catch. The other group seems to paint with a much broader brush often visiting unknown waters in the hope of making a discovery on their own rather than just going for the sure thing. Understandably folks in the latter group are reluctant to share their information.
I do agree that it would be nice to know which 'Silver Lake', which 'Trout Lake' or which 'Fish Creek' was being talked about when naming names so a subsequent email question wouldn't be necessary. Ive

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Oh where do you fish! I want to know!
Overall I think a lot of people on this forum do post quite freely. Most do it realizing that these are lakes that can support a lot of pressure.
But once a person has been around awhile they realize that many places cann't support mass pressure even it is c&r. These places took a lot of time and work to figure out let alone find. I have posted two lakes one this forum that are excellent fly fishing in their own right. One is McIntosh in Thurston county and it can take a lot of pressure and has some really nice fish, bass and trout.
the other is Klaus in King County and by the time that lake gets done with you, you will have learned a lot and not caught many fish though they are nice but not easy.
So there you have two not often mentioned in fly fishing circles but both very respectable. Each is as different from the other as night and day.
OK I gave you two not often mentioned you tell me two that aren't pushed all over the place. Please don't tell me about the Yak or Pass Nor Lenice nor Lenore nor Nunnaly I have heard about them and Rockyford too. What are you offering in return?
Personally, a lot of the waters I fish were found because I was fishing!, not looking for some one to spoon feed me. I hope this doesn't hurt any ones feelings but I have spent many wonderful hours exploring maps and pondering where things might be. That is as much of the sport, if not more, than actually catching the fish. My roaming has produced more memorable moments than all the fish I have caught! Good Luck, this is a game of learning and patience!

Dave

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
This is a good suggestion. As long as it's a known lake/river. But it's true, it can ruin a good spot. There are very few true zippers left (I do know a few, but am NOT going to list here to see if anyone else may know of them LOL). But I have seen my share of good small rarely fish rivers go the wayside with boat traffic.

For example, we have the Satsop and the Wynoochee for starters. Have had property on the Nooch for years, and have fished most of the lower Chehalis system since the mid 70's. Was very little, if NO traffic on these rivers. Of course word of mouth would draw a few anglers, but for most part they still had little boat traffic. But I remember it was the early/mid 80's if I remember right. F&H news did a pictorial on the Nooch. In one weekend, went from seeing maybe 3-4 boats go through my parents property slot (most of those were local guides) to 15 boats easy. Numbers kept going up. That was just from those who subscribe to that mag. Can you imagine if a zipperlip was to be posted in today's world? Chances are you'll find a ton of lurkers running there. I'm all for sharing techs, flies, etc. But will rarely tell good fly holes, or gear holes either. I know I get a ton of email from guys wanting to know the good fly spots on the Nooch. I know about 12. Each says "I won't tell anyone". Well, if I told all 40 of those slots, guess what would happen? Yeah, sure you can. If they truly have an interest, chances are they'll try them.

I for one am all for helping someone new. Will tell them common places to go. But in end, you can lead a horse to water, but if they won't drink, it ain't gonna help much. WHen I say this, I mean, that some don't know how to work a slot. But still prefer not to give that type of info up. If you want, you can stalk me once I heal up and get that info. :p But, during the summer, I leave my Dad's place and wade the river to my spots. So don't expect to see my Blazer. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.