Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda pride myself in using things until they are worn out or break, rather than buying something based on "the latest and greatest" technology/design/etc.

However there is one single area, that no matter how hard I try, I just "have to have" a new one.

That area: fly line.

Yah, not real "sexy" I know.

What is wrong with me?! As I spool off my older line, I end up telling myself, "Man, this (old - one maybe two seasons) line is in great shape! I bet I could get $XX for it on..." :(

You're probably asking the same thing I do: "If it's in that great of shape, WHY did I just go buy a new one!?"

But this is the year! Yep! This is the year I cause the fly line industry to collapse. Because I refuse to buy new lines for all my rods. You can blame the economic downturn of the the fly fishing industry on me.

I am not going to buy a new line this year. Nope, not me. Unless it's on closeout...maybe...:(

Anyone else like those Super Dri Elite lines? sigh...

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
I've been using a Super Dri 40+ floater for beach fishing for the past six months or so.
The thing floats like a cork, just not sure I like the line that much. The head is way to thick for my liking on a single hander.
I used a RIO OBS short floater before that. Nice casting line but it fell apart in about six months use.
SF

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
That's been my experience as well. Durability like none other...unfortunately, mediocre performance from day one, and memory like a wife.
I had an older Tactical Trout that was way coily, hated it. The Ridge and Super Dri, at least on a large arbor reel, have been very straight with regular use. And they shoot and mend nicely.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe the new Ridges...my main experience is with the lichen green Ridges from the late 00s. It's a testament to their longevity that I could still use either of the two I own. Well, the 3wt anyhow. I only used the WF7F maybe 10 days every season, so usage-wise, it's still fresh...the WF3F though, I beat the snot out of it and other than looking like a phone cord, it's just fine.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the Airflo lines.

The "curly ques" don't bother me at all. I just stretch it out a tad, as I'm starting out.

Another helpful thing (though hard to remember sometimes) is to reel it in "loosely" on the last cast of the day. That seems to help a lot.

Doesn't really matter though...as I tend to buy a new one the next year anyway.

:p

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.