Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals. I've got one of my cousins in town and he wants me to take him fly-fishing this weekend. There are a million places to go but I want to get him into some big fish. Now if I was Backyard (the lucky bastard) I would take him to Pass and cast a spell on some big browns (I am still salivating over those pics). If I was ******, I would take him for a quick ride around the block in the "Short Bus" and then ditch him with a bottle of drambuie to keep him warm at night. If I was Old Man Jim I would take him to some "Secret" skinny water just to have him observe me while I "rest my aching back". And because he was with me he wouldn't catch a thing. If I was Mtlhead I would take him to some of Jim's Skinny water and instruct him on how to cast with 20 different rods that I've built. If I were PWOENS I would take him to Rocky Ford and hang him over the edge of the handicapped dock with a net to help land my handicapped hogs. If I were Irafly I would teach him the fine art of Chironomiding at Dry falls or "noodling" hogs at the Ford while standing on a 6 ft. step ladder. If I were Sparse I would drag his arse around to 6 different secret desert ponds or make him carry my pontoon on a 6 mile trek. If I were Xstream I would have him babysit my team Xstream Cheerleaders while I instructed him in the art of flyfishing with a $6,000 digital video camera in one hand. If I were Ty I would sit around a campfire with him and not say a word. }( If I were Roper I would drive him onto some remote dirt roads in my RallyCar/Forester and try to see just how sideways I could get that thing.

Seeing as I am just a tag along team rugged wannabe does anyone have any suggestions for me?

MAC

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
NOPE

You covered all the bases. If none of the above are an option, take him to a Sonics game. It ought to be a good game and tickets are probably cheap :p.

Good luck and props to my brotha for takin a new one out to the water and teaching him the way (even if it is the incorrect way ;-) )

~Patrick ><>

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I was going to say something but after laughing my tush off. My mind just went Blank. :beathead :beathead .Probably to many of these :beer1 :beer1 :beer1 :beer1 in my younger years and now my mind is blank. Besides my back is starting to hurt from trying to carry you around.:professor

Jim

·
Slainte
6,629 Posts
Well now there's a legacy for you...rallying on dirt roads. I haven't even taken you motorcycle riding or 4 wheeling in Big Red...just wait!
Seriously, take your cousin to Lone Lake with ****** and his burgundy bugs and some chironomids and catch some nice little trout in a beautiful lake with ospreys, ducks, and eagles. He'll (I hope this ain't a Darrington cousin...if Ya get what I mean) get a ride on a ferry, see some sights and probably catch a fish or two.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe that's a good idea. Get him into a few fish even if they are "shakers". A ride on the ferry. A few Kerry Buggers.

He's not from "Darrington" he's from the Ute Indian Reservation in Eastern Utah.

MAC:thumb

·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I've got it dialed in. Two rods, pontoon, float tube, two sets of fins. All the line and flies. The only thing that might be sketchy is the wader situation. I'll have to figure out if I am ready to purchase a new pair before I hit it. Maybe I will post a want add.

MAC

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
1,000 Posts
IF THE WEATHER HOLDS, TAKE HIM TO THE YAKIMA CANYON. THE FISH RIGHT NOW ARE HUGE !! NOT SAYING THE SHAKERS ARE NOT AROUND, BUT LAST WEEKEND I THINK I HOOKED MORE FISH OVER 20" IN ONE DAY THAN I DO IN A FEW WEEKS IN THE FALL. PICK YOUR SPOTS, TAIL OUTS, FROG WATER, RIFFLES, BACK EDDIES. THEY ARE THERE. CADDIS PUPAS, BIG HAIRS EARS, ZUG BUGS, AND SMALL MAYS WORKED JUST FINE. TICKS ARE HEAVY SO CHECK YOURSELF ON THE WAY OUT, BUT THE BIG FISH ARE HUNGRY AND WILLING IF YOUR IN THE RIGHT SPOTS.

·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks YAK,

I need a good river fix. I will keep it in mind! Not sure if I am up to teaching my Cousin the art of advanced nymphing techniques. But I am tempted! I've never fished the Canyon. I just moved back up here in August and have yet to re-visit the YAK. Use to fish it when I was a kid.

MAC

·
...has several mistresses.
666 Posts
Hey now, it was $5,999.99 NOT $6,000! And if you were me, first off who would I be? More so, you would have a sore back, a grindy knee, sore shoulders and would be avoiding a crew of brothers on the look out for you! Something about that camera, their sister and a bottle of Jose' 1800! You would also be wondering how you could sneak back into that watershed for some of the best cuttie fishing of the year so far! The lesson you would have learned: ALWAYS ask about brothers! Hell, head to the Yak is what I say, why not! Do a little float, drink a few beers, catch some big fish!

SAK
}(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nunnally, best chance at catching really big fish - especially if he is a beginner/novice. Rocky Ford...well never mind, you know the issues there. Dry Falls can be very slow at times, unless you want to fish deep, with very long leaders. The Yak could be fun, but unlike YAKIMA, most people I know find a 20" hog to be a rarity and a 24" to be a once in a lifetime fish on that river.

Nunnally can fish well just stripping a bugger, and it has been fishing very well with chironomids, but since it is generally much shallower than Dry Falls, you're not dealing with the long leaders. Also, you can generally see the hogs swimming around, which adds to the experience.

Plus, it's a little closer than Dry Falls or Rocky Ford.

Is your cousin from the reservation near Vernal?

·
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SAK you are killing me!

I might just be agreeing with ya'll about the Yak. It won't be a float though, it'll be a wade.

I am tempted to make some comments about that camera, the bottle, the sister and the brothers but I shall forbear. :) hahahaha
:thumb

MAC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.