Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my father coming out in two weeks and he is chomping at the bit to catch a salmon other than "chum pate'" (normal visit is during Thanksgiving). Anyway, I looked at the regs and it seems nothing is going to be open the weekend of August 1st, but a few options.

One is to fish the Skagit from 536 to Gilligan's creek
Two is to fish the Nooksack from Lummi to Bus Barn in Demming
Three is to fish the Sammish from mouth to Thomas Rd.

My "crutch" is that I would prefer to drift down, and wade fish...rather (dare I say this) pull the gear out and pull "grappling hooks" through the current!? Does anyone know if it is possible to drift/wade fish the Skagit or Nooksack at these stretches...I realize that an ant on a match stick doesn't have a chance in hell on the Sammish!

I am even debating taking a 'long' drive to the Yak to float that for the first time, or seeing if anyone knows of a good float in B.C?

Help please!:dunno

·
1,490 Posts
Try the Cowlitz or the Kalama. The Cowlitz is good for Drifting just watch out near Blue creek I hear it gets a load of pressure. you can wade the Kalama it's great in the upper stretches because it's fly fishing only and CNR so very little pressure. I was there last weekend and caught a steelie, but I did notice quite a few salmon. and the water is nice right now.
Steve:thumb

·
Registered
533 Posts
Andrew,

Your father will be getting here right on schedule for coho in the salt. Also there have been reports of pinks in the Skagit as of last week.

Where are you located? South sound, Edmonds, Port Angeles or where, Bellingham? It does make a difference. I noticed on an earlier thread that a certain man by the last name of Johnson is known to frequent an eastside flyshop. I would have to search for it but it is east of Seattle somewhere. They will know thru him where fish are.

I have not found the coho's just yet, but I have not had the time either. I know that in two weeks you will find them in several places in Puget Sound. Outside Whidbey Is. or inside in Skagit Bay should both be good for either species.

Keep checking back in here and someone, if not myself, will help you put your dad onto some fish. For cutting out the mystery you will never beat this website. Everyone in here will help a WA stater host his dad. Where is he from?

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.