Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everybody, its less than two weeks before I leave for Rock Creek. Everything is double checked ready to be packed, flies are being tied right now, food list is made, and I have been watching the weather and river levels along with fishing reports. I dont think I have not thought of anything, most importantly picking up my pretty girlfriend from work in Seattle, then were on our way. Any last words of advise out there anyone willing to give? I'll be going over pretty light and know I can get whatever I forgot localy there, so I'm not too wrapped up in worry. And hey, even if the rods all break (just the thought gives me the willies), I'll be just fine with my pretty lady keeping me company and drying my eyes. Going to be pretty busy the next few weeks with other things, but I'll be checking in every so often to see if someone out there can clue me in. I appreciate all your input a month ago and got me preparing for it. Now its time for the sunscreen, great company, new water to fish, new fishing partner (the pretty lady is on her way learning, and doing a great job !!), and ice cold martini's once the day is over. Thanks to all for your help on the whats and wheres... Much appreciated, Greg

·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOPS, ALMOST FORGOT... WILL BE GIVING A FULL REPORT WITH PICTURES IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED... WILL BE AT ELKHORN RANCH IN A SILVER TAHOE TENT CAMPING IT... STOP BY AND SAY HI IF YOUR IN THE AREA...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile

I'll be at Rock Creek this weekend. I'll post a trip report when I get back or you can email me for specifics.

Another note, from what I hear the mosquitoes are extremely thick this year. Be prepared for them.

Pete

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
So you think you're ready...?

Our group went to rock creek about the same time last year. I must say I was a little dissapointed...

We stayed at Elkhorn which was really nice. We fished 4 days...Weather was generally good...Fish were in there but not nearly up to the hype we got fed before we went....

My best was a nice 16" cutthroat. I caught maybe 3-4 fish per day...which is a pretty low score for me. I landed some small 12" browns ....the 4 others in the group are less experienced fly fishermen and they got maybe 5 smallish fish combined...lots of fishing pressure on the lower river...My advice is to drive up the bumpy gravel/dirt road as far as you can stand the gut shaking and fish up there above hogsback...

One big pool up there had a good fish for everybody in my group..Sparkle caddis #14 ( green brown tan)

Needless to say we have a different destination this year...

Very pretty scenery there though...

-Piscean
PS I would steer clear of the rock creek merchantile fly shop...those as$%##&oles took one look at us and decided that we were yahoos from Seattle. They refused to sell us a fishing license so we had to back track towards missoula and the lady who finally sold us our liscense said that those good ol boys do that to folks all the time. Real friendly....

·
Registered
61 Posts
My advice: stop by Kingfisher Flyshop and pick up some big ugly conehead streamers. Specifically, the kind with lots of little rubbers legs and stuff. I've always had tons of luck with Kingfisher's streamers (in Montana and other places). I can't find good streamers like their's anywhere i've been in Washington.

Also, if you head into Rock creek from the upper end--through Philipsburg--stop for a few hours and fish Flint Creek. It's a small creek, but has browns under the grassy cutbanks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Native,

I did a bit of research on the flies that the Kingfisher carries a few months ago, because when Chris, Sparse and I were out there, we picked up a few streamer patterns that hammered the browns. To let you know, the Kingfisher flies that I saw were from the Montana Fly Company, at http://www.montanafly.com/ You cannot order from them directly, I called them and they said the minimum order was 6 dozen flies. I haven't seen streamers like they tie in too many places, but looking at the retail locator for washington, Creekside in Issaquah, Avid Angler, and the Worley Bugger all carry them.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile

Yes, A report would be great !! I have never been there before and anything is helpful. Passed on going to B.C. this year as I was burning out up there. As things stand, I'm glad I didnt go as my friends are calling and saying it is slow. Big fish, but slow. I kept getting told mosquitoes arent that bad over there, but yet again they are such a bunch of goofs they could be laughing at me knowing what I'm getting into. Greg

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago with a buddy...mosquito's not too bad, fishing was better than any other time I've fished it.. we got everything on top, everyplace we stopped had some fish. BUnch of diff flies, but overall a Stimulator my friend was using was probably the hot fly. Be prepared, however, to dredge with nymphs and inicators if nothing rising. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.