Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are heading to Iceland in June. We're going to drive the whole Icelandic ring road. I have a good bit of time to research, but I wanted to ask here if anyone can give me a quick breakdown of the possibility of using a fly rod while I am there. I have heard that it's a bit difficult/expensive to get on the local rivers, but I'm not sure if that is actually true.

I'm also wondering if there are different regulations for the coastline?

Your help is much appreciated. PM me if you don't want it on the main board.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bring any angling gear from outside the country with you. The only time I went (2015) there was no customs presence to speak of, for what it's worth. It seemed like most rivers and lakes were pay to play, but I didn't do a ton of research.

Have fun, it's an awesome island.

·
Let's Go Brandon!!
1,859 Posts
This should be an EPIC trip for you two. Take lots of pics.

Have you inquired on the FaceBook page "The Fly Fishing Community?" Try there: I've seen a number of Icelandic posts there this Spring.....

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Spud,

I looked into Iceland fishing a year or two ago. It is private water, but I'd already heard that. What I wasn't expecting is how high priced it is. There is a web site that lists most of the rivers, beats, regulations, and prices. Good water on good rivers during the best part of the season was running $200 - $400/day. Some beats include a guide, and some don't. Some owners require a guide, some don't. Be wary of any water that appears affordable - it's probably not good water, or it's before or after the main runs are there. Even fishing for brown trout, or sea trout (sea run brown trout) was priced higher than I would feel comfortable paying.

Sg

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have been invited to head out their with a buddy in June. Tempting, but expensive and timing not great vis a vis my work schedule. Unless i play and win the lottery soon, i will instead save myself for my MT/NM/Canada plans this summer. Shorter trips, good fishing, and i can work around family activities if need be....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I read a magazine article >20+yrs ago that spoke of some great brown trout fishing, salmon fishing is $$$ but I'd maybe look into this. Fish were NZesque in size (and difficulty) but it always stuck with me why catch 10lb salmon in big rivers when you could get a 10 lb brown in a stream.

The salt fishing will be free and really good re pollack/collies and possibly halibut too. I'm sure there's a ton of articles in gear fishing from the shore, go from there.

Dave

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was there last summer for a week. Fished every day and was in the range of 400$ for all permits on the waters I fished. I was completely self guided. I have some contact info for the company that helped me obtain my permits it was actually quite easy. Very affordable UNLESS your wanting to fish salmon. Then you gotta be rich. I'm currently at work but when I get home I'd be glad to have a private chat with you. Would probably be a good idea to have a phone conversation as it's quite a bit of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to bring any angling gear from outside the country with you. The only time I went (2015) there was no customs presence to speak of, for what it's worth. It seemed like most rivers and lakes were pay to play, but I didn't do a ton of research.

Have fun, it's an awesome island.
Any gear is welcome it just costs about 60$ American to have them disinfect all of it for you. Or you can look up a local vet who is licensed to do it and bring along a certification it was done. MUCH easier to do it there only took about 20 minutes to give it to customs and have it returned ready to go.

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Il PM you tomorrow. If you have time to chat I'd be happy to reminisce on the good times I had. Can't wait to go back.

Thank you so much Johnathon and everyone else as well. I REALLY appreciate the info.

I have spent the last 24 hours digging in and I have come to the understanding that this trip is probably not going to be the one I want to use to attempt to fish. It is my 10 year anniversary with my wife and I'm going to have limited time just getting around the ring road in a week without the fishing.

However, I'm quite certain I will be going back in 2018 only to fish.

So, thank you for your information and I will eventually put it to good use. You can be certain I will be picking your brains again in the future.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not much of a story, we had about a week to make the loop, which is plenty of time if the weather cooperates, but that's a big if in February. We turned around in Hofn after a few delays and got snowed in for a day in Vik. That was actually one of my favorite days, just being stuck in that town with nowhere to go. I was amazed at how many tourists were there in February.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.