Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that Icicle Creek is open for salmon fishing until the end of this month. This may seem like a stupid question, but does this mean that I can fish it for trout? My understanding is that it is closed for most of the year for salmon protection, but since they are allowing salmon fishing then I would assume that trout fishing would be o.k. What does the gallery think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have fished the upper sections before and just thought since it is a rare opportunity to fish a different section I would give it a go.

I just called the WDFW and spoke with a lady that said it was only for salmon and not trout. She then said she was not sure and is going to ask an enforcement agent and then get back to me. She was very nice. If the departmen's own employees can't figure out the regs. then how can the rest of us. The posting on their website only mentions fishing for salmon is legal in that area and makes no mention of trout which, to me, means fishing for salmon only.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just received a phone call from WDFW and was told that you cannot fish for trout in the section that is currently open for salmon fishing (from mouth to hatchery). Makes absolutely no sense to me, but what do I know.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
I would assume that trout fishing would be o.k.
Just because there is an opening for one species does not mean you can target other species that are not open. If there is an opening for crab it doesn't automatically mean you can shrimp or target halibut; same on a river. The openings depend upon the health and breeding cycle of the species in question and not all populations in the same water are equally healthy or at the same life cycle stage. Plus in that river, the only reason chinook are open is that they are surplus hatchery fish not needed by the hatchery a few miles upstream. Most other fish in that section of river are ESA-listed, so no, you can't target them.

Only part of the river is open for trout. The lower river from the mouth to the Leavenworth hatchery rack is closed for everything except Chinook. (Translation, the pamphlet says it is closed for all species but there is an emergency opening for chinook but this does not mean that you can also target steelhead, coho, bull trout or anything else)

Besides, like many other rivers with populations of anadromous fish, the Wenatchee and lower Icicle does not support a big 'trout' population so those rainbow trout you catch are most likely small steelhead. These rivers used to be heavily stocked with trout back in the day but that stopped a while ago. If you want to target trout, head to the Icicle above the hatchery where it is legal to fish for trout (except bulls). There is way better access anyway and it is much more scenic. Like anywhere, if you can cast from the road, you're not going to find much. Bushwack a bit and you might be surprised! Well, maybe only surprised if you have a 3wt, lol. Have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.