Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 33609 View attachment 33608 The family and I went up Icicle creek this week,and we just got back a few hours ago, what a good time! I was able to sneak away a few times and get some fishing in, what a treat. My wife is pretty damn cool!
Anyway, I stayed at the second campground up river, lower Jonny Creek, it was a little crowded, but a nice place. I hear upper Jonny Creek is a bit quieter and more secluded, but I've never been there, so what do I know.

I thought the fishing was going to suck (4 inch trout) and I was getting worked up about going on a vacation next to a river and having nothing to fish for, boy was I wrong. If you don't mind trying to fool fish that are small (yep 4 inchers), you can have a blast. I got lots of these little guys and a couple of real nice ones. One in particular was a 10 incher, I had it to hand and was trying to get a pic of it, when the slippery fellow slithered right back into the water, I couldn't believe it.

The only real bummer about going was all the people. Well, that and I only got to fish for an hour here and an hour there, but thems the breaks.
By day two I could tell my wife was getting a little ansy and she was reaching her rope with the baby, so we left and headed home. It was a good thing we left because 520 is closed and everyone was taking I-90. It was a zoo. I can only imagine what I-90 will be like tomorrow. Still, with traffic, leaving early, a two day camping trip, complete with ribeye steaks, fishing and the family, that's pretty good!
Here are a couple of those really small fish that I caught, and a few pics looking up, and down river. The water is a bit skinnier than most "S" rivers so my mind had to revert back to my first days fishing for small trout in streams. After about an hour or so I was dialed in. The foam hopper with a copper John was the ticket. The color on the John was green. I also did well with a Prince too.

It took some time for me to adjust to the size of the fish and appreciate the action I was getting, but after a little bit, it was actually more fun than some steel-heading trips I've been on. I have had my eye on making a VT2 3wt. for about a year now, and now I think I'm finally ready!
Cheers!
F.

View attachment 33600

View attachment 33606

View attachment 33605

View attachment 33604

View attachment 33603

View attachment 33602

View attachment 33601

View attachment 33598

View attachment 33599

View attachment 33607

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Excellent post . . . thanks! Roll the whole experience into one package . . . you had a great time (and made me wish my Kids were wee-little again). This is a treasure . . . cherish it accordingly.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Great post! As others have said cherish these times.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya know, when so many people, from so many walks of life say, "cherish the times with your little one." It's an attention getter!
It also make me equally wonder "what's ahead?"

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Your setting a foundation....what's ahead comes from it. Off to a great start (IMHO). It does become tougher, but while you might forget, the little ones that become bigger do not. Once again, thanks for posting, greatly enjoyed :beer2:

·
189 Posts
I'd rather go places with kids who get in the way then be around selfish old grumpy people. Buck, thanks for the report. I look forward to the coming years when I can teach my boys and my daughter my love for the outdoors and for fishing.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
My kids are 22 and 20, both go to school outside the state and have their own lives. I talk with each of them at least once a week and see them every chance I get but I do miss our many camping / fishing trips while they were growing up.

Cherish every minute you have with your family as you cannot rewind and start over if you miss something.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Great report and look forward for many more great times with the family. Everything you do with and for them will come back to you with rewards that will make you very happy as you are growing old. Mabe that's what OMJ has missed.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Hell, I remember Buck from another web site that isn't around anymore. I gave him a bad time then and I'm still doing it. He's as good of a friend as anybody from this site is. He used to be single, but not now good buddy. Have fun with your kids.

I don't hate kids, it's just that they get in the way when one is trying to teach their pops how to fish. Besides now that I'm old I can be just as cranky as I want to be.................................. So there.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim I was looking for that site the other day, what happened to it, probably just gone. What was the name of it, that's the part that gets me, I can't remember chitt. Get out and fish.
Cheers,
Buck.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Jim I was looking for that site the other day, what happened to it, probably just gone. What was the name of it, that's the part that gets me, I can't remember chitt. Get out and fish.
Cheers,
Buck.
It was Montana Fly Fishing News. The guy that was running it said it cost to much for what he was putting into it or something of that nature. He's on here but I haven't heard from him in a while. His handle has slipped my mind. That happens when you don't talk to people for a while. Plus getting older also doesn't help.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there another site for over there that is good? Pm me the name will ya.
Thanks,
Frank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great report! Got up the Icicle last week to complete a weekend with my family in Cashmere/Peshastin/Wenatchee. The fishing was just the icing on the cake for me as I had a great time with my great nephew and neice. That river is one of my favorite places in the world. It's not the size of the fish that matters as much of the memories of fishing with my dad on camping trips on the Icicle, Nason Creek, Little Wenatchee, or Chiwawa. Crossing my fingers that they'll open the Wenatchee for Steelhead this year so I have an excuse to go over and spoil the little ones!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.