Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am not going to catch fish on a fly, then I'd rather not catch fish on a fly in the salt water. You have all seen the pathetic "fish on hand" numbers from the WDFW.
http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/hat/escape/e011603.pdf
I was in talking to Dave McCoy at Avid angler. He is starting his own saltwater guide service.(He is usually there on Sundays and Tuesdays) http://www.emeraldwateranglers.com/
Since the Steelies aren't in the rivers, then they still have to be in the Sound or coming soon as they work their way around the peninsula. I have everything I need. 7 and 8 wt rods, intermediate sinking line. And I may have to pick up a type 3 full sinking. And a bucket of freshwater to soak my reels on the way home. Plus I need some saltwater hooks and I'm good. I picked up a copy of "Walks and Hikes on the Beaches Around Puget Sound". It shows all the great access points near some of our favorite rivers. Here is an excerpt from "The Estuary Flyfisher" by Steve Raymond;

"WINTER STEELHEAD

Season: Mid-December through March, with January usually best. Steelhead kelts are often found in the estuaries in March and April.

Water Type: Unlike salmon, Steelhead come into the estuaries on a rising tide and then stubbornly remain for as long as they can when the tide goes out. Usually they are invisible to anglers until a low tide reveals them schooled up in deeper tidewater pools; these schools move about swiftly, sometimes entering water so shallow their passage is marked by ripples on the surface. Anglers wearing polarized lenses can often see these schools swimming in the shallows. At low tide during hours of morning or evening low light, Steelhead sometimes rise freely in the estuaries, although their rises are often subtle and may sometimes be mistaken for those of cutthroat or resident Coho.

Tactics: Look for traveling schools in tidal pools or along gently sloping beaches at low tide. Schools in shallow water are wary in daylight, but usually not as difficult to approach as schools of chum or pink salmon; try to anticipate the direction of travel and get your fly in front of the advancing school. Use an intermediate or slow-sinking line with a wet fly and retrieve it very rapidly. During hours of low light, look for individual rising fish; when you see one, cover it as quickly as possible and begin a rapid retrieve. A wet fly works best, but a skated dry also will draw some spectacular rises. However, steelhead often only bump or splash a skated dry without really trying to take it."

I'm going. Can you imagine nailing a Steelhead in the Salt?

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Now that sounds like a blast!!! If you find yourself in need of a fishin buddy for a trip like that, or any trip for that matter...let me know. That just sounds like to much fun...if the steelhead are where this says they would be.

J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.