Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Flyslinger
1,922 Posts
Didn't this happen once with Hardy? They were contracted to make reels and made them the wrong? size? They were pretty small. They are now a collectors item.
Save them you might at least get your money back.
jesse

· Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,563 Posts
So there's this Facebook page called "Fly Fisherman". At first, I thought it was an official FB page for Fly Fisherman magazine-which is certainly not the case.

I ordered a "machined aluminum fly reel for 5/6 weight line". Cost $25.00 (plus $12 for shipping). I figured even if it sucks, how bad could it be for that price? Little did I know how bad it would really be.

This is what showed up today from China. Not one, but TWO absurd, useless pieces of shit for $37. YAY!!! That's a normal 16oz can of Rockstar for scale.

I fell for the same a couple years back except mine was all plastic at least they looks to be metal

· The Whisky Guy
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I fail for the same a couple years back except mine was all plastic at least they looks to be metal
That's what I don't understand. They appear to be well made. Good drag and look to have been machined from bar stock. Fit and finish are great. Why go to all that trouble to produce something so absurdly tiny and useless?

· Make my day
5,067 Posts
I've seen them that small before. Some of the old timers in the club have reels that small. And yes, micro-rods made out of old Boo.

Reactions: Breck

· Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,599 Posts
Didn't this happen once with Hardy? They were contracted to make reels and made them the wrong? size? They were pretty small. They are now a collectors item.
Save them you might at least get your money back.
jesse
Think that may have been the Hardy built Sage 500 series, 503 Preemie

· Make my day
5,067 Posts
Want to make a huge profit? Label them American Girl fly reels and mark them up to $100 each. As father of a daughter, I can confidently say I've bought things worth less and paid more. Those will feel like a bargain!
Paint them pink!:D

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.