Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted a picture of a HATCHERY steelhead that I caught over the weekend and apparently it was not an ethical picture. For the record, I kept that fish and ate it for dinner. Heres my question:

If its a hatchery fish and you keep it for dinner, are you being unethical even if your totally legal?? why or why not?? If you intend on keeping the fish and take a picture, is this unethical?? :dunno :dunno :dunno

DISCLAIMER: im not trying to piss anyone off here, rather im trying to gain more insight on what others think and feel about this issue so that maybe in the future I can cordially abide by everyone elses opinions.

Thanks,

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I didn't think it was unethical. The devout C&R guys should respect our beliefs as much as we respect theirs. In other words, I would defend any C&R guys right to say what he wants. In as much as they should defend my right to say, if the law says I can kill it and eat it, then it’s going to end up in my septic tank.

I am very careful with natives now, thanks to the C&R guys on this site. I am not deaf to what they say, infact I apply some of their teachings to the best of my ability. And as Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam."

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
What you did was not unethical, immoral, or illegal. As a matter of fact, there are some who believe one of the ways to help our wild steelhead is to kill the hatchery brats to keep them from mating with the wild steelhead.

Now if you had killed a wild steelhead during the kill season (aka "harvest"), many of us, I'm sure, would question your ethics and morals, even though you were legally entitled to keep wild steelhead.

Don't get too weirded out over some of these threads that come up on steelhead ethics. Some of us oldtimers and romanticists are into the classic "love the process", sacrificial, old-world, reclusive to the point of secretive, "noble fish deserves noble tactics" kind of fishing that is in the process of getting lost. But that's just us.

Thanks for asking the question.

Leland.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
As someone who helps to raise and release Salmon working with TU. Hatchery fish are meant to be caught and kept for those who want to. Its the wild fish we must take care of. This goes for trout, steelhead and salmon. I catch and release most of what I get to hand, but each year I keep a few for the grill. The ones I keep are always hatchery stock or a fast restocking fish like perch. Go ahead a take a photo of the ones you keep. If posting just make sure to say this hatchery fish was kept for the grill. Some of my grill fish get the photo taken on the kitchen counter. Keeps me from having to stop fishing to get the photo. One last note if you keep it make sure to eat it. Do not let it get freezer burn that would be a waste even if its just a hatchery fish. Of course that just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tasty recipe was as follows:

Marinated the filets overnight in pure maple syrup. I then put the filets skin side down on tin foil in the bar-b-que and glazed them ever so slightly with brown sugar. I cooked them on low for about 15 minutes or so and that was dinner for my wife, my daughter, and myself lastnight. It was extremely tasty.

I myself practice purely c&r in all aspects except for this ONE hatchery steelhead. I wanted to try it and see how well it was. and boy was it GOOOOOOD!!!

Thanks for the other insight :thumb

~Patrick ><>
~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
pwoens-
Where did you post the picture? I'd like to see it and draw my own conclusions.
As far as I am concerned the hatcheries dont do anything but harm wild fish and provide food. Kill all the hatchery fish you want. :thumb
But please treat the natives carefully and release them unharmed back into the stream.
just my .02

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted the picture here earlier today. I will send you the picture via email. let me know what you think as I am curious.

I hear ya on the natives...it saddens me to see how "others" that fish for these beasts mistreat the ones they do catch and release.

~Patrick ><>

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Hi Patrick,

I'll again take the hit on this as I haven't yet clearly identified a board rules page. Sorry about that, I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Retaining a brat is ethical and suggested to keep them out of the gene pool. The post was pulled for other reasons. A post labeled "Gloating" with a picture of a retained fish not clearly identifiable as a brat was the rub. Ensure that it's clearly a brat or mention it. At that point if it becomes an issue I'll be happy to step up on your behalf.

If that's not done, and the bitching starts, the post may be pulled. It's not personal, many times it may be indicative of our time available to baby sit the topic if and when it's needed.

Chris

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Pwoens, chill dude. I saw the photo, looked lake a tasty fish. :9 I could tell it was a hatchery fish(no adipose fin) and was wondering if you "bonked" it. Good for you. I think "tightloops" quote on all his posts says it best. Bonk the hatchery zombies, kiss the nats and send 'em on their way home. But as I haven't caught nada this year, I haven't been able to give a steelie a smooch this year!!:* Only messing with you all, I don't kiss fish, Like that bass guy, what's his name, always kisssing bass? Roland martin?? haahahahaha!:smokin YT

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Chris..no hard feeling here....

The gloating was simply to state that I had caught another steeli. I have gone two years without ever catching a steelhead and I have caught three in the past 3 weeks so I felt high up on my own pedestal and felt the need to gloat. I never intend on offending anyone, but I guess there are so many people on this site that you are bound to offend atleast one.

I also figured that the people of this website would look at the missing adipose fin and realize it was a hatchery fish before they raised any issues. In my opinion, the picture clearly showed the fin missing....no doubt about it.

I hope Im not overstepping any boundaries, but im gonna post the picture again for those who did not get to see it. Please let me know what you think, on or offline. Thanks,

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I saw the fish and thought it was a beautiful little hatchery fish. I would have bonked it also. As far as I'm concerned, if it is a hatchery fish or other put and take fishery then you are doing the eco system justice by eating them.

Randy

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:+ LOL...Its called my wishlist that the wife fulfilled for Christmas.

YUPPIE>>>>what the heck...Born and raised an Idaho Spud...and now living in Greenacres, the place to be... Couldnt be any further from a yuppie, unlike you true WESTSIDERS }( :p

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
177 Posts
This has been a very insightful/interesting thread for me to read. I was there with pwoens on my first steelhead outing and i personally took that picture. That was a beautiful fish, and it sounds like it tasted pretty good as well. I understand the controversy of hatchery vs natives and what to keep and all that jazz. But i guess what i dont really get is why there is so much fuss over a pic of a beautiful fish. I just dont understand what is wrong with snapping a quick pic of a fish that has been successfully landed. :dunno Is there more to this issue that is flyin over my head???

Tyler

Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
having seen the picture I could care less what you do with the fish as long as you eat it. A beautiful fish and one that was put into the system to be eaten.
Nice job and everything looks good to me.:professor

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ty,
I didn't get to read the original post before it was pulled, but people were probably upset thinking that it was a fish that was intended to be released. If a fish is going to be released, it shouldn't be removed that far from the water. The angler should remove the hook while the fish is still in the water, when the cameraman is ready to go, the fish should be raised a few inches out of the water, quick picture, and then submerged again for release. No carrying the fish up the bank through shrubs and bushes like shown in the picture. It stresses the fish a lot, and greatly reduces the chance of survival.

Also, release all natives, regardless of what the regs say, that is my opinion.
Pete

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
First of all I would like to send some congrates over to Patricks way. I sure is nice to see someone catching something that I have been painstakenly fishing for since the season opened. Then on top of that...the man is from Idaho. I too am from Idaho, Meridian,Id. to be exact. Second, and on a more serious note, I don't quite understand the whole kill every hatchery fish you can while there is a legal season to do it. I am a animal lover, and yes I hunt and fish and throughly enjoy the outdoors, but to "bonk" a fish merely because how it came into the world to me is unethical. Granted I understand the concept of the hatchery program and If I catch a wild or a hatchery I asure you folks that I will take a photo for it would be my first to hand. I will also make sure I label it hatchery or wild. I'm definitely going to have to try that recipe though...sounds tasty. Sorry to offend somebody happy to back up everybody.
Scott

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.