Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...which I'm not so I can only dream about it. Never thought that the Kamchatka program would resume but now it will require $10K. Clicking on the attachment a couple of times will provide further details so that it's readable (apologies for the kludginess of integrating the attachment).

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I got tha email about it yesterday. $10,000 for one week, $14,000 for two weeks; nope, not worth it to me now. A week of prime Atlantic salmon fishing on the Kola is less. If it comes down to the very last steelheading opportunity left on the planet, I'll reconsider.

Sg

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
If it comes down to the very last steelheading opportunity left on the planet, I'll reconsider.

Sg
Not me. I'm gearing up for carp. I think I can convert my sled over to a carp killing machine for a lot less than 10 grand and with global warming I figure we will have abundant amounts of the golden bone in a few short years.

Forgot to add; with a little pratice I think I can effectively cast with the 2 handers from the boat also. Sled plus 2 handed rods should be quite deadly on poor man's bone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have assets to spend on my favorite activity, but the larger the money gets, the less of an innocent enjoyment it seems to be. The simple pleasure of heading to your local water and hooking a fish is getting further from reality and becoming more of an expensive dream. I remember catching steelhead on a fly with my grandfather over 35 years ago in local waters and being amazed at how we had this local experience available to us in WA state. I consider myself fortunate to be able to spend money to do something I love, but it doesn't seem right that I should have to.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I agree mightilly with 228 whether steelhead or small stream trout or back country lakes.

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Why do you have to be independently wealthy? Work towards your goals. $10,000 is less than a cheap new car, way less than a house, and about what you pay for a year's worth of full time infant child-care, at least here in Seattle.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Well, not to be negative and get cross threaded with the thread, I have to say that our focus point is on a critter that is on the food chain. Every living soul on the planet needs food. Fish is a big item on a lot of menus and that equates to money.

Greed and self indulgence play a great part of what happens in the oceans and our fresh water fisheries.
Cost of living forces a lot of folks into drastic measures to produce money.

Money makes the world go round.

So, until we can find a better way of managing our resources, we will be faced with a lot more competition for them. Fish included.

That being said, I personally do not feel that the State of Washington is being served well by our WDFW but that may not be
their fault. I would look further to the State Government. They control it all. JMHO YMMV

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Was fortunate enough to have worked in Russia in the early 1990's. Met a fisheries biologist in Murmansk and he helped me do a number of trips ( on the cheap) to the Kola region for Atlantic Salmon. Took a few cases of vodka to the local game warden to allow access as area was still off limits to foreigners. Sea run brown fishing was awesome in that aree too.

He also helped me arrange a trip out to Kamchatka region ( more bribes) and the fishing land was amazing. Also did a rafting trip up north by Norilsk. Got into some huge taimen. I know now fishing /hunting in Russia has become very costly now.

If you have the bucks really recommend going over there.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
and just imagine, this is the exact same resouce that the tribes are trying to exterminate on the OP, the exact same resource that nedra said she didn't need, the exact same resource that people are allowed to kill on 'select' rivers. funny how the folks in WA state could not see the golden goose sitting right in front of their noses.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Question gt, who is Nedra, and who is behind wild steelhead retention on the OP?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
nedra reed is the former mayor of forks who lead the fight to allow the killing of wild steehead. she is also quoted as saying that the forks economy didn't need any 206ers coming over to her town. in case you are unaware, the hoh are currently netting wild steelhead from the river of the same name. you can find them for sale at pike street market. this is alll a result of WDFW having no steelhead retention plan on the table and doing nothing to stop the overharvest of these anadramous fish. when the hoh can kill 68% of the run, you would think WDFW would finally have the balls to step up, but oh no, commercial over harvest is the agency culture.

so nedra and the OP tribes are flusihing this economic opportunity right down the toilet. just imagine what having a quality wild steelhead fishing experience using NA guides right here on the OP would be doing for the economy of the tribes and small businesses out this way. but it is apparently more important to eliminate wild steelhead and replace them with raceway clones, brilliant...........

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thank you for the info

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.