Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
If I could have one rod only, I'd shoot myself. I'm one of those Ho's OMJ is referring to.

One only? probably a 7/8 Highlander, 13'6" or 14'.

·
I'll take Chukar & Steelhead all day, every day!
107 Posts
MKS 7/8 small rod with a strong backbone able to pick up lots of line. Feels great with a fish at the other end.
Same one I have. Great stick! I'm torn between that one and a same rod but from Bob Clay at RiverWatch.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumb:Hmmm...Tough man ! I shoulda said two spey rods !!!
For me, My rod below , The Gloomis GLX greaseline 15' 9/10 .... My "G Smooth" stick .... Very nice rod- Rips tips fair well and loves the long bellie ! :thumb:

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Well, my goal when I got sucked into the two handed abyss was to start with one rod and do everything within my resolve to keep it to just that. I have the Z Axis 7136 and am quite happy with my decision. So far I feel no need for another two hander. Except maybe the 8-129. I've heard it rocks, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Leroy...

I'm hurt...you christened the Loomis from Poppy and didn't say anything? Tisk tisk...

Have you christened the No. 3 yet??

Spey rods are like 'tater chips or fried bluegills...ya can't just be satisfied with one!

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Except maybe the 8-129. I've heard it rocks, too.
I've got that rod. Haven't had the time to spend with it to get a line dialed in yet. Some asshat closed the river before I could. On first test the line I had was a bit long and a bit light. I could tell the rod wanted a heavy line. Perhaps next year I can dial it in and see if it is as good as the 8124. First impression says it is to soft for big fish but I will need to put a steelhead on the end to be sure.

·
2,880 Posts
Love my 13'6" 7/8 MKS, but I also love my LS2 1307. Next up will be a long belly rod. One rod just won't do. If a guy could get along w/ one rod, my "right tool for the job" mantra that I've been using w/ my wife would have to go.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leroy...

I'm hurt...you christened the Loomis from Poppy and didn't say anything? Tisk tisk...

Have you christened the No. 3 yet??

Spey rods are like 'tater chips or fried bluegills...ya can't just be satisfied with one!
Skeet, what the Shit bro ??!! How the heck are ya ?
Yup, the 3 is also unvirginized ! I didn't know you were over here !

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
So I would have to ask if this would apply to switch rods as well? If so, that makes the decision very, very hard. If I had a bunch of kids it would be like asking which one I would keep if I could only keep one. I honestly can't decide.

Kerry, I've been using my 8129 with an airflo compact 540 and it seems to like it very well. I bought it from someone who was using a 720 compact. It can take it, but the question is can you? I seem to prefer the lines on the lighter side. They still can huck whatever you want, but it's easier on your body. JMHO I think that rod can handle some BIG fish too. I just haven't had the blessing from the steelhead gods yet.

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
I only own one rod but I love the thing. Part of me would like acquire more rods but the other part of me doesn't want to part with my darling. Scott ARC 1287, it does a little bit of everything.

·
A guy who loves to fish
42 Posts
Just one rod would be rough because each of mine have individual qualities that I love and work best for certain times and seasons. BUT.... it would definately be between the Z-Axis 7136, LS2 1307, orthe BIIX78133. I have been fishing the Winston a lot lately and its quickly becoming my favorite.

G

·
Also at the top of my list is a SUPER CHEAP St. Croix 12' 6" #7 three peice two hander that I picked up years ago for 150 bucks as a loaner for buddy's. The thing is like the best in the lineup excluding custom rods.

·
Registered
528 Posts
One rod.........I'd chose my Meiser 12'6 length 6-8 wt highlander. Short enough to feel like a tough-o-war with a single hander, stong enough backbone to chuck skagit lines with big flies and sink tips. I use this rod more and more because I want to feel the fish. I also fish with a Sage 7141 and Meiser 15 ft 7-9 wt. Love these rods for the big water, but will downsize to my smaller rod whenever possible. Hit the sweetspot with skagit lines but capable of throwing a floating line with ease.

Joe

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.