Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:professor If you were a authentic Flyrod builder ............. And I would request you to build me the perfect Alpine Lake flyrod..........
Please state all the particulars from the # blank down to the thread you would use to wrap this baby.........
Oh you have $700 smackers to work with, assuming you have the rodbuilding equipment to build this flagship. This does not include your builing fee :9

Junky

·
Registered
701 Posts
Good post actually.

I might have a custom rod built for this exact reason.

My first objective would be to make the lightest 6 peice rod in existance.

I am also interested in finding a titanium rod tube for a 5 peice rod.

I would match the rod to the Lamson LS reel for sure.
Limit the accessories to a Leatherman Micra, a film container of flies, a fresh leader (9'5X) and spools of 4X and 5X tippet.

The rod would need a titanium reelseat and guides. Possibly ommitting a few coats of varnish to save weight. Maybe only one or two coats. Thread? Black Guidebrod and no foil. Keeping it simple is ideal.

I can't decide if the Sage or the Winston rod would suit.
I think I would go with a 4 weight. Maybe the Winston 8'3"-5 LT Trout or Sage 489-5 SLT

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ahh...a great question to ponder. ohh the possibilities.....:hmmm

Here's my rod. 4 weight, 4 piece, 8' or 8'6" in length. You could go a foot shorter in length, but I like the length for casting. it always seems like alpine lakes are hard to throw a traditional cast. The length would suit me better for short technical casts and if possible throwing a long distance hail mary.

I've been thinking about an Alpine lake spey rod.:eek ya, I like to think outside the box. think about it?? wade a foot out, throw 80 feet with no backcast, make wicked roll casts, etc. wow. like take a 4 pc blank about 10 ft, 4 weight. get a reverse wells grip and smallish fighting butt. The grips would be tough, you couldn't use a treaditional spey handle, too big for this little gem of an idea. you might have to make your own, press some cork I guess.:dunno I must be crazy.... trout spey rods?????:eek: oh wait, sage beat me, they have a 5 weight spey. bastards....

I would like a non-glaring finish, and a natural looking thread, like sage(the color, not the company). And single foot Tich guides. and a super lite rod case. A guy can always dream........

YT:smokin

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I'm thinking long and hard about that 5wt Sage Spey rod. It would be ideal for for cutts in the salt. I don't know about it's overhead two handed abilities though. George Cook says he is going to sell a lot of them to Mid West nymph fisherman. A lot of nymphing on their smaller rivers. I don't even know if there is a Spey line for it. I really would like to have a good rod for stillwater. I just don't want to do all that damn overhead casting anymore.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
701 Posts
I like the idea of having the ability to make a giant roll cast!

You wouldn't have to press your own grip because you can buy cork rings and mill your own taper. Actually, you could use a standard western grip and then just mill the butt section.

The line could easily be made after a little thought firmentation. You would only need to figure out the length and grain of the tip which is no problem.

Wouldn't you still want about an 11' length?

You could even bring only Parmachene Belle's, March Brown's and Royal Coachmen tied with gut (or imitation gut) leaders.

Or even tie size 10 Lady Carolines using dark dun saddle hackle and olive hare's ear.

Now were talkin!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hmmm, I guess I'm not the only guy thinking about a trout spey rod. Wouldn't it be fun for the yak? high-sticking nymphs, or wade fishing and being able to cast into deep pools below rock walls that always seem a bit out of range?

I think you could use a 5 weight floating line, like a cortland 444sl rocket taper, cut the WF head off, then buy some sink tip lines in various grain weights, and cut the heads off and ditch the rest? Could get spendy for testing, but hey, thats why we have ebay right?

Hey Roper, want to build me a 4 weight spey rod?? we could be on to something.....:eek YT:beer1

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
if you have that much to work with

Why don't you go and have a Burkenheimer built? If I had the money, I'd have one. I know that these rods are custom built for the individual. I mean, from GROUND UP!!! They build the blank to suit you, then build up from there. I'm not sure on an address, but I know almost all his rods are a custom build. He mostly deals in spey rods, but I do know he makes smaller sizes as well. But know he specializes in the salmon/steelhead arena. All I've spoken with that has them love them. But they are a true investment. I know there was one a guy found for sale for $390, which is a STEAL used. If I had the money (or shall I say WHEN I have the money), I'm buying a burkie.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
******, I'm not sure where he gets his blanks, but R.B. Meiser makes a two handed, 10 foot 6 inch, 4/5 weight in 3 pieces. His model number is S2H106. Check out his site.

He's the 2 handed king around here.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
701 Posts
if you have that much to work with

The Burk built rods are fantastic but I must say, there is a guy that I've known for ever who does the best work locally. He can do anything short of rolling the composite or planing 'boo.

Anyone know of Marty Clark? Lives out at Hoody (canal). Still owns a home on Issaquah Creek.

I think he still frequents Creekside for simple repairs but I'm not sure.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
cool troutman

He makes blanks? That's great. I'd be interested in talking to him if he's still rolling his own blanks. There are a few rods I'd love to have built, but can't find the actions I want. I know on fly end, Burk rolls blank depending on your casting styles and needs. But he doesn't make drift rods. Is he expensive (or was he when you last heard about him)? I only mentioned Burk, because he's only rod maker I knew who actually hand rolled the blank action depending on your fly stroke. I should find online article and cut/paste it for everyone to read. Pretty amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.