Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know why but i am in a big time fishing funk...Think it started when I couldn't go up to fish the T. the last couple weekends...I love that river and fish it from when it opens to when it closes...this year with the steel open I was able to wangle a few days off here and there and spend 3-4 days at a time on it...

Guys I fish with tend to be hardcore steelheaders, fishing the Dean, Skeena etc. and sleeping in their trucks or whatever in their pursuits. I am beginning to believe I am the anti-hardcore...I don't mind sleeping in the truck sometimes..(once you got a decent set up it's Ok) but when it's 100+ degree's i'm hitting the a.c. They give me weird looks as if I see a trout rising I go to shit and start fishing for them...matter of fact a 2wt rod lives in the back of my truck so I can sneak it out just for that...I have heard more then once..."Dude we're here for steelhead" and ignored um and kept fishing the little flies...kind of weird trying to drift a little dry on a 14' rod..but it can be done...even got my first summer run out of a certain river on a size 14 caddis and my 000wt rod...put the spey down and what happens? ...go figure..

Back to the funk...Since the end of Dec. and back down here and OK rolling my truck and having to drive around in a mini car...I just don't have the desire to be out chasing the winter runs...matter of fact I have been taking my switch rod and while I think it could handle a fish up to 15 lbs...I'm honestly more fishing for bulls or anything else then concentrating on steel...I'm in a funk..I don't feel like tying weird globs of rabbit...am digging the little size 18's, march browns and salt water patterns....I'm in a funk!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm still out fishing on my day off but it took me till last weekend to finally take my scandi head off my switch and put a skagit on....some kind of a funk...

I'm actually sitting here and thinking about taking tomorrow off and just giving it a rest for a bit!!! How weird is that? I'm hearing the reports, I know it's happening, couldn't ask for better conditions at this moment...but I would rather be cuttie hunting...ARRGGGHHHHH What the hell is wrong with me?

I need a funk buster!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Funk? Let me tell you about funk. I had rotator cuff surgery the first week of this month. Second time on my right (casting) shoulder in 3 years. I can cast rods up to 6 wt with my left hand but a car accident years ago screwed that shoulder up. If this wing doesn't heal well I'll probably get rid of everything 8 wt & above and just fish trout. You know whats weird? I really don't give a shit as I enjoy trout fishing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the best funk buster when winter steel is concerned... is catching one. I get those funks too. when I have the day off, zero responsibilities at home, and still have to talk myself into fishing or not as the case may be. its easier to go fishing for the smaller fish, mainly because in the back of your head you know there are more around. and catching equals success, success equals further encouragement. Im sure some one here is going to say something of to the effect of " any day outside on the river is a successful one" ... thats bullshit IMO. any day on a river is a good one and its great to be outside yada yada yada but we all need to catch a damn fish sooner or later or else whats the point? steel headers have it rough because there are so few opportunities for the fire to get fed. but thats the name of the game.
take a break if you have to; a biker is still a biker if he drives a car every now and then and a hard core steel header remains the same even if goes after trout for awhile. sooner or later, maybe after a few dozen cutties you will remember why you went after steelies with a double hander and be back in the races.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I envy your dillemma, not!...LOL

I can understand, though I've never experienced steelhead burn-out. Like anything else in life, sometimes you need to step away to appreciate what you're stepping away from. If that means catching little sissy fish, so be-it. :rofl:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sounds like you need a break. Nothing wrong with that at all. Shift your focus and pursue what you find rewarding. You might also consider mentoring a newbie as it's amazing how contagious the enthusiasm is, how rewarding it is to be a part of someone's first fish and to pass on the passion of a lifetime.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
A "funk" is usually based in something. Sometimes the cause can be found, other times it isn't. It sounded like you want something new, fresh, different; a change, maybe something exciting in a new way. That may include change in fishing partners, fishing type, style and/or location. It might also be changes you're going through with employment, relationships, finances, etc. The "funks" I've had have always provided an avenue for taking an inventory of where I am, what I'm doing, and what I would really like to be doing. Maybe it just takes the guts to look and then take the action. I don't know if this helps, it is just my experience.

Best wishes.

·
east coast transplant
59 Posts
Although I'm new out here, I think I know how you feel. I have been focused on catching my first steelhead since the beginning of December, spending whatever free time I have -- admittedly not much -- trying to learn the technique, the equipment, and the rivers. I really want that first steelhead, and have been waking up first thing in the morning, reading WFF daily, getting out to the rivers an hour before dawn, etc. to get it, but so far nothing, not even a bull trout. I know that's to be expected for a beginning steelheader, but it has started to wear on me too. I think -- or maybe thought -- that I want to be "hardcore" enough to catch the fish, but now I'm not so sure... combine that with some unpleasant stuff going on in my personal life (which it sounds like you may have with the truck), and that's what has me posting on WFF this morning rather than standing waist-deep in the Sky.

I hope that Han Double is right -- that my first steelhead will break me out of this funk. And once I know I can catch one, I think that the early mornings will be better too... mostly I just want to know that I am doing enough things right to have a chance. And I hope that, or something like it, happens to you too -- something will happen to remind you why you love fishing, and sleeping in a truck, and all those other things we do to catch fish.

I'm not sure if that helps at all, but I imagine that many of us feel a similar (almost existential) frustration during periods like this... and share the hope that these funks will pass. At least it feels good to share my own doubts.

Rob

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I feel your pain man. I've been in a similar funk lately, only in my case its motivation to start learning to fish steel that is preventing me from going out at all. I have a constant desire during the week to be on the water, yet when the weekend comes I come up with a million reasons not to go. It's driving me insane. I have tomorrow off, and thought of doing one of three things all week: Fish Pass lake for the first time, Drive up and fish the Yak around Cle Elum, or head out to the OP jump into steel fishing for the first time....Yet I have come up with more reasons not to go now that the time has come. It is driving me nuts.

Nick

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Nick, stop being a wuss and take the opportunity to fish. You have three solid options. Pick one and get after it, we'll look forward to the report!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
There you go. Might just find some nice surprises there. Wishing I could join you, looking forward to the report.

·
1,411 Posts
Back to the funk...Since the end of Dec. and back down here and OK rolling my truck and having to drive around in a mini car...I just don't have the desire to be out chasing the winter runs...matter of fact I have been taking my switch rod and while I think it could handle a fish up to 15 lbs...I'm honestly more fishing for bulls or anything else then concentrating on steel...I'm in a funk..I don't feel like tying weird globs of rabbit...am digging the little size 18's, march browns and salt water patterns....I'm in a funk!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm still out fishing on my day off but it took me till last weekend to finally take my scandi head off my switch and put a skagit on....some kind of a funk...
ARRGGGHHHHH What the hell is wrong with me?

I need a funk buster!!!
Although you might have the winter blues, Golfman nothing the hell is wrong with you. You rolled your truck and you're still alive to talk about it, right?
I still haven't caught a steelhead this season after six trips so you're not alone.
The days are getting longer my friend. Pretty soon you'll get to use your triple-ought.
Heck you could go out with it now to the Yakima, tie on a size 25 midge and match the hatch!

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
sounds like rolling the truck screwed up your mojo.

that's OK, it was just your turn. So do whatever you want, fish for sculpins if you feel like it. Just don't sell your steelhead gear. When your confidence shakes back in, you'll be swinging for chrome again. Just give it time. This season has mostly sucked anyway!

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Funk? Let me tell you about funk. I had rotator cuff surgery the first week of this month. Second time on my right (casting) shoulder in 3 years. I can cast rods up to 6 wt with my left hand but a car accident years ago screwed that shoulder up. If this wing doesn't heal well I'll probably get rid of everything 8 wt & above and just fish trout. You know whats weird? I really don't give a shit as I enjoy trout fishing.
I have no doubt where you'll be fishing after July 15th, even if it is only with a 6 wt.......and it won't be trout fishing :D

Good luck with the recovery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A "funk" is usually based in something. Sometimes the cause can be found, other times it isn't. It sounded like you want something new, fresh, different; a change, maybe something exciting in a new way. That may include change in fishing partners, fishing type, style and/or location. It might also be changes you're going through with employment, relationships, finances, etc. The "funks" I've had have always provided an avenue for taking an inventory of where I am, what I'm doing, and what I would really like to be doing. Maybe it just takes the guts to look and then take the action. I don't know if this helps, it is just my experience.

Best wishes.
Thanks for the replies...I think karl may have hit it on the head....Taking a break from the same old and hitting some new spots, fishing my 6wt S rod Meiser...got a few tugs and landed a few fish...No steel but that was OK, saw some wicked steel water and no crowds and that got my juices flowing again....Not just for steel but fishing in general...Being out on a nice day, seeing new water..etc. got me excited again and looking forward to getting out....Kind of sucks when your rig is down for awhile..sure that has something to do with it as I felt I couldn't get into spots I would normally fish..but this weekend the little car was able to park in spots, got good gas mileage and I wasn't worried about it getting broken into as there is nothing worth stealing on it or in it...Kind of cool really...Carefree day, good cigars, no rain and a few fish....Slump feels like it's sliding off a bit!!!
Many thanks!!!

Thomas I'm hoping to get mine this week from Bob as well....then it will be offically broken as I can't wait to feel something on that little guy!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.