Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The regs say you can target bulls in Koot reservoir but don't say anything about the river. Is it safe to assume then it is illegal or am I reading this wrong?

"2016 BULL TROUT REGULATIONS Bull trout fishing is permitted in four western district waters of Montana: Hungry Horse Reservoir, South Fork Flathead River, Lake Koocanusa and Swan Lake. All other waters in Montana are closed to intentional fishing for bull trout. These four fisheries are very restrictive because bull trout are listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. See pages 2 and 3 for water-specific regulations. It is hoped that this permitted angling will increase public support for management of stable bull trout populations, restoration of bull trout habitat, and for other management activities that will increase the distribution and abundance of bull trout populations throughout the state."

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No shit. But if I was mistaken, I was getting ready to book a trip to the Koot river.

On the outfitter's website he has pics of bull trout posted all over and then this:

http://www.fishmontana.com/fly-fishing/rivers/kootenai-river

"Bull trout are also native to the Kootenai and we catch them with streamers run down and deep. With jaws and teeth suited for their perfect predatory nature, these beasts are awesome and often range in the 10 lb. class. When passing over bull trout runs, our guides are instructed to remind guests to keep hands and feet in the boat, please."

Is this dude illegally targeting bulls?

And you know who that is in the bottom photo?

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Based on the post info, I'd say they were illegal if on the Koot river since the fish were not "immediately released." Should that be the case, the guide at least should be spanked - with a horse whip. And I don't know anyone in any picture. From the verbiage in the second link/guide's web site reference, it appears that "the man, the myth, the legend" does indeed target Bulls, which gives me the inclination to edit that moniker to "the greedy, uncaring asshole." As for booking with this outfit - "Caveat emptor."

·
Registered
653 Posts
"not sure what to think of this"

Aside from the legal question these grip and grin hero shots (they look like two possums eatin' chit) are not all that appealing. Is it really all that difficult to take pics with the fish in water? Keep em wet folks....

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure how they enforce this. So if you're a streamer aficionado then you are on thin ice?
In some waters that are closed to bull trout, you are not allowed to fish a streamer longer than 3".

I wan't sure if this was illegal and thought I was interpreting the regs incorrectly. But if what he's doing is illegal, curious how he becomes an Orvis endorsed guide? Maybe Orvis really doesn't give a shit since their VP is getting in on the fun.

#themanthemyththelegend

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
Not sure how they enforce this. So if you're a streamer aficionado then you are on thin ice?
yeah, I'm not sure about that either, but then again they explicitly state on their website that they're targeting bulls on a river that appears to be closed...shit, them pimping a resource that's closed? bulllshit if you ask me.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
In some waters that are closed to bull trout, you are not allowed to fish a streamer longer than 3".

I wan't sure if this was illegal and thought I was interpreting the regs incorrectly. But if what he's doing is illegal, curious how he becomes an Orvis endorsed guide? Maybe Orvis really doesn't give a shit since their VP is getting in on the fun.

#themanthemyththelegend
One of the few Bull Trout I've caught in MT was on Rock Creek close to the confluence with the CF. It took the live streamer legally caught on the end of my line. It was about 17", skinny as all get out, and obviously hungry. I think the smaller victim may have survived the event.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Real simple solution. Drop a dime. Puts them on the states radar. Judging by how thorough they were with those "Wild" boys, I bet it gets a hard look.

Reactions: GAT and Jim F.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
One of the largest Bull trout I ever "hooked" way back in the day was where the East Fork of RC dumps into the Middle Fork. We were targeting Whitefish for Dad's smoker - a 10" Whitefish took a nymph, an enormous Bull took the Whitefish & refused/couldn't let go - that thing had to have been 12# plus. Even though bulls were legal back then, we knew their numbers were in trouble with all of the logging. In that case, both fish were released. Not all Montanans are greedy . . .

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Can't speak to the Koot, but the South Fork of the Flathead is open to fishing for bull trout from the third Saturday in May to July 31. I spent two weeks in August fishing the SF in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I never caught a bull, but several bulls grabbed small cutthroat on the end of my line. They all let go after a while. Some of the cuts were a little worse for the wear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.