Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a good friend that has taken an intrest in F.F. for a while, but has not even tried yet (as far as I know). I'm looking for the most productive area on the Skagit right now, I not after your secret holes, I just want the scoop on streches of the river. This guy fishes probaly as much as I did before getting married (5-6 times each wk), and he knows the river intamately for toss'n gear. I'm bringing a couple of extra fly rods tomorrow, all in an attempt to convert the guy over to our side (not the dark side). I would like to get him into some fast action, and something other than just Chum. If anyone wants to help me "save" this guy, I would appriciate it. I am after productive flys, areas of the river, and species targeted. Thanks you guys in advance, I know everyone will kind enough to help me break my buddy in the right way, with a day full of tight lines!
mtlhead
NOTE: THIS IS MY STANDARD DISCLAIMER, I WAS A GEAR FISHER FOR OVER 3/4 OF MY LIFE, SO ANY REFERANCE TO THIS TYPE OF FISHING IS PURELY IN A HUMOROUS TONE. DO NOT GET YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH, I'M JUST JOKING AROUND. :TONGUE

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Stocked trout in june, or Baja Mexico in April :DEVIL Other than that... The words "fast" and "pacific northwest" don't go together right now :DUNNO

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I didn't know that you had any more friends. :DEVIL I thought all the people that you knew were mattzoid and me. :TONGUE

You could try the bar at Swift Creek,or just drive along the river up from the bridge at Rockport and pull out at all the good looking spots you find. But being that's it is a weekend everybody and his brother is going to be out there also.

There is that spot at Diobsud Creek. That not to many know about but they will now. Where the creek runs in on the north side is a parcel of land that belongs to the state. We all get to use it. There is a trail down to the river but it is over grown. The access there isn't to much and it won't hold but two or three,but there is a nice hole where the creek runs in.

Please don't ask how I found out about it as I could catch hell.

You could also try the access at Bacon Creek. Or just explore the river.

Your other friend.

Jim

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Just don't go fishing with the Oldman. Anyway, on the Sky today. Saw the usual dead chum everywhere, but I also saw one Coho and three Steelhead (all wild). After they are spawned out they die, of course, but how long ago were they running up river? With the last rain?

Matt

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure about the Silvers, but after the last rain (the day oldman and I met you @ sultan launch)we saw a bunch of Silvers up the Sultan River spawning w/ the Chum. I think that statisticly the Silvers are Done and Dead before the Chum arrive, although I do know of some remote holes in the headwaters of one of our local rivers that still had Silvers (Alive of course) in them in Feburary last year. :CONFUSED

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think silvers enter over a wider period of time (Sept - Nov) than chums, which all seem to enter the river in a span of a few weeks. I've seen silvers way upriver by late September, and last year I caught chromers until the end of November.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Too bad its winter, otherwise I would suggest going to a lake in a boat or tube and seek & destroy risers with dry flies. I admit, the reason I started was because I just LOVE SEEING a fish go up on a dry fly. For months all I did was dry fly fish, I didn't really start wet fly fishing til' Flyfishing for Steelhead.
I got my wife hooked on FF when she casted a #14 adams at risers left and right of her til a 20" rainbow BLASTED her fly on Lake Hebgen in MT. She won't do anything but dry fly now.
I'm conviced a fish taking a Dryfly will get ANYBODY hooked on flyfishing!
PS, I have yet to take a Steelie on a dry. Can't wait til spring!

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
If you haven't already left to go fishing by the time you read this, the fly water on the upper Kalama isn't all that far from Merril Lake. But they're probably getting em on leaches or something down deep. I've been dying to get up there, but also been wanting to check out so many other places. The list doesn't seem to get any shorter no matter how much I hack way at it. I'm planning a major assault next week...either north, south, or east of here, or maybe bounce around to a different area each day. :HMMM Jimbo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.