Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just moved to Seattle from Middletown, CT and am eager to start fishing as soon as possible. I only own gear for trout fishing on small rivers (9'rod and 5/6 line). Can anyone suggest a good spot to be introduced to Northwest fly fishing near Seattle. Will I need new gear? Thanks a lot.

Jules

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hey Jules,

Your gear will work great for what it will work great for! I know that sounds like nonesense, but it's the truth. Right now, there are some trout lakes that will be open to fishing throughout the winter, and you will be able to fish puget sound with that rod as well from the beaches during the winter. There are some stream options too, but you first have define what "Near Seattle" means :DEVIL Winter steelheading is out...

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
GO EAST YOUNG MAN...

Theo, Welcome to the northwest. Another choice is Rocky Ford, check back later, my main man MacRowdy has tasked me with putting an outing together to hit this "crick". How's the Housatonic these days? I used to camp along there on way to Lime Rock.

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philster,
Thank you for the advice. I was afraid winter steelheading would be out with my light rod. If I were to buy a new outfit for winter steelheading, what would you (or anyone else recommend)? And is it worth it or can I do enough with what I have.
Fishing Puget Sound sounds great. Are there any particular beaches you recommend and what would I be fishing for this time of year? Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Sincerely,
Jules

Joe,
I read a little about the Yakima and I hope to make it out there some weekend. I will check out that site, thanks for the tip.

Sincerely,
Jules

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GO EAST YOUNG MAN...

Roper,
I don't know where Rocky Ford is, but I would definetly be up for an outing there. I actually grew up in NYC and only went to college in CT, so I am not all that familiar with it. My friends and I generally fished on the Farmington and Salmon Rivers.

Jules

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
GO EAST YOUNG MAN...

Jules,

You'll need something in the 9' 8wt rod section for winter chrome. For a real thrill and if you hate a full wallet, you might want to check out a Spey set up and some casting lessons. You'll need 'em for big rivers like the Skagit, Skykomish. But if you just want to go with what you know, then a overhead rod will work. A lot of people on this site are reporting early winter run and traditionally it will really kick in Jan. Not much time left before that wall of Steelhead start coming up river.

Matt

"Little dick, big click, some say." BOBLAWLESS

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Small world

I grew up in Rochester and lived on Lawn-guy-land for 8 years. Rode the LIRR to Hunters Point Ave and then took the E train to Grand Central Station. Hoofed it up to 41st and 2nd to the office for two years. So you could say we're neighbors, again.

Look in the topics for "Crick Fishin" and get your woolies out and join us. A 5wt will work just fine.

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,110 Posts
Small world

Yep Theo, A 5 wt. for up to 12 pound bows. At least that's the biggest I've caught there. Anyway, check out the Crick fishin topic. I will post some of my little baby hog pics up there.

MacRowdy

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hey Jules

What general area do you live in? That will help alot with pointing out "close" fisheries.

I'll leave the beach info to others who are fully in the know. If nobody responds I'll send along some spots, but I am still in the discovery phase. I did find success, and it's a great fishery. I can count on two hands the number of people I saw all season fishing the beaches, and most of them were on a "fishout" type event I went to on purpose! I only really got into fishing the beaches consistently last season because construction kept me from my local (6 miles away, 12 to my favorite hole) steelie river. A 20 minute drive to my best hole turned into a 55 minute drive... Thats practically a freakin' fishin' trip! Bring a tent and baked beans!

As to Steelie Gear a 9 to 9.5 foot 8 weight, a decent reel (35 to 50 dollar zone) and a type IV sinktip will take through the winter and into the summer season nicely. You can get away with 2 bills, 3 bills will set you up with gear that will work for years. If you can at all wait until the fly-fishing show, you can probably find some deals, especially on lines, but that's a few months away. If you can't wait, 200 to 300 dollars is what you're looking at.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Try checking out the "clubs" on the home page of this site. There's allot going on and there's nothing like fly clubs for new information, fishing buddies and the like.You might look up www.washingtoncouncilfff.org and they will list a few FFF clubs out here, and lots of links. Trout Unlimited as well has a bunch of active chapters here.This is good winter work for your fishing ahead.Under "Shops", you'll find a great listing of shops and links to some shops with websites, many of whom will steer you straight to good water and more fishing than you can do.And the people here on this forum are wonderful about sharing just about everything. Having come from connecticut myself, there's allot of new things to learn and get used to. There's also more fishing here than you can do in a lifetime, and much of it is year-round. I miss many things back east, but ice covered lakes and rivers isn't one of them.Welcome west.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little Stone Flyfisher,
Thanks for the information, I will check out the website and a club does seem like a good idea. I can already tell there will be a lot to learn and a lot of fishing ahead. Thanks again.

Sincerely
Jules

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
As with any fly fishing, the beginning parameter is the size of the typical fly. For winter steelhead fishing with typical No. 2-2/0 "irons," something hefty is called for. I fished for several decades with a 9' or 9-1/2' 10-weight. If you're accustomed to fishing with 5-6 lines, that must sound like bluewater tackle, but be assured it fits in nicely with winter steelhead rivers.
For even better command of these waters, consider the leap into spey fishing, now or later. You'll need instruction, but we have a dynamic, enthusiastic cadre of spey-fishers in this region, and you can readily make contacts. An excellent, economical rod is the St. Croix 15-foot, 10/11-weight rod.
As an earlier post said, a type 4 (fast) sinktip will handle the majority of situations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.