Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Retired Mod
10,917 Posts
Sounds like to me you need a driftboat that has a reinforced transom for an engine. Some boats are actually made with the mounting bracket on the small transom in back. DO NOT get the in hull motor well. All that I have rowed have been sloppy compared to a normal driftboat. The key is to get a longshaft motor for the boat (most don't recommend using over a 10hp on a driftboat). It has been done for a long time in Oregon using a driftboat with a kicker motor off the back. So perfectly acceptible. I'd definitely suggest if you're flyfising only to get a Clackacraft or a Hyde. These are boats that are designed with more a fly fisherman in mind. But, if you plan multiple use (say pulling plugs) I've noticed that the clack's and hydes just don't track well running plugs. Except the Clackacraft Steelheader, it's only model I've used that seemed to run true running plugs. But if you're going straight fly, just about any driftboat will do. Just make sure you get the configuration you need (usually you want a db with rear seat so you can have a standard 3 man config on flies, and sit near engine without extension with motor).

I think I covered all the bases. Not sure though. In process of buying a driftboat again myself. No one boat does everything. My cats work awesome, but not for my plugs. The DB's don't handle summer water levels as well as the cats, so on and so on. Have any other questions, let me know.

· Retired Mod
10,917 Posts
Skycries.......that's BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you say that. I'm in shock. :eek: One can't have everything??? NAHHHHHHHHHH. LOL

Actually, going to be buying a Steelheader III, then a 10' Guide model Steelheader later on. Also a 16' Driftboat (used) and a 21' Northriver Mariner with jetpump near end of year. So, nothing wrong with a little over everything. ;)

If you decide on a Steelheader, let me know. Can give you all the insights, and any extra info you may need.

· Retired Mod
10,917 Posts
I've ALWAYS had respect for the water. I think it's those who become complacent and think they've got it all figured out that get bit in the butt. I love to fish in the ocean, but on a BIG BOAT!!!! LOL. I'm going to be getting a 21' jetsled, and wouldn't dare take her out into the open sea (she'll have big enough motor to drive her anywhere). But I too have seen too many bad things, and think that an ocean boat should be B-I-G! I have too much respect for the ocean, and prefer to have a big hull under/around me. ;) Just like on the rivers. I don't take runs for granted, even ones I've done a thousand times. You never know when a current may change, a hydraulic may increase and suck your boat under and eject you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.