Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing a fork of one of the S rivers on the western side of the state this weekend. Tossing out a nymph under a small pink bobber, I caught two bows and one cutthroat, with other missed strikes.

The surprising thing to me, though, was that there were several surface strikes of the bobber! I thought maybe it was hatchery fish used to power bait, but this was an area that never gets stocked fish.

Has anyone else had this happen with native wild fish?

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I can't say that I've had a bobber strike with "native wild fish" but pretty much anywhere I've used indicators I've had trout come up and bite, strike, eat..... Rocky Ford is quite known for this. I used to "floss 'em" when trout would "rise to the indi".

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Caught a small rainbow out of the Madison on a white balloon indicator. Funny while it happened. It wouldn't let it go. I brought it in and it still would't let it go. It left it's teeth marks in the balloon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The fish in the Crooked River are very fond of indicators. A friend told me he once had so many hits he put a hook in one, and did better than his fly. I use any big orange foam fly for an indicator there, and while I never had the majority of fish on them, they can do pretty well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had a mid-20s steelhead buck swirl on my indicator. Couldn't get that fish to eat anything with a hook in it, though. That's as close as I've come to catching a 20+ steelhead.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Biggest steelhead I ever caught tried eating a clear drift float.
Next cast....float down.
SF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.