Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've migrated downward in size from a full-size Driftboat to a pontoon boat and various float tubes. Because my wife and I are now traveling a lot, we are looking for a frameless boat that we can easily transport in our RV. I'm considering getting a couple of the outcast stealth pros. Any feedback regarding the stealth pro would be appreciated. Are they as adaptable for moderate white water use as is a pontoon boat? I have an outcast 9 foot pontoon boat. Would it be as capable in rivers as that? Also, for those who own a stealth pro, what accessories or modifications would you suggest? Are there similar frameless boats on the market that I should consider rather than the stealth pro?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just bought one a few weeks ago. Love it. Put two fly rod holders and an anchor on the back. Came with the bag to hold supplies while out. Have not used it on whitewater, but did a ton of research and called a few fly shops asking about its capabilities. I heard all was good after talking with a guy at the George fly shop in Bend. Fits in the back of my Santa Fe partially inflated. Not too many cons that I can see after having it out on the water. Considered purchasing the Kodiak, but way to much money after you outfit it. I'm 6'1" and rowing is fine on the lake, but for quick adjustments on the river, I could see things being a little tight with rowing and hitting my knees. The screws for the accessories to add on loosen up over time and need to be tightened periodically. Plenty of room in the back to store gear. There's not much I for online that I could see about whitewater and I did a tom of research, so that is when I started calling around to fly shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was strongly debating the Commander, but sounds like a really wet ride on white weather due to its narrow tubes and sitting so close to the water. There's only one video on YouTube showing it's (commander) capabilities and tons of videos on
the stealth pro (2 being from using it on the San Juan River and a tone from Japan). There are barely any videos showing the stealth's capabilities on whitewater. I talked with three folks who purchased the commander. All loved the their boat, but two are now more interested in the stealth pro. Outcast seems to stand behind their products and I was advised to steer away fro Scadden to them for not standing behind their warranty. I'm sure many would disagree with me on this, but my desire was to spend a little over $1000 for this boat and its quality and capabilities suit my knees for heavy lake use and light river use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am 6'2" and weigh about 220 pounds. I was wondering about the height of the oar locks and if they would clear my knees without too much trouble. I guess I'll have to sit in one in a fly shop and see what it's like.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It clears my knees, but I rowing longer distances in the hairy it's more comfortable to lay my legs on the foot bar instead on bracing them against the sides and in the foot bar. On a river I would rather brace my legs to get a better hold on the raft.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am 6'2" and weigh about 220 pounds. I was wondering about the height of the oar locks and if they would clear my knees without too much trouble. I guess I'll have to sit in one in a fly shop and see what it's like.
Where are you located? I recently found a fly shop that will rent out Outcast fish cat, fat cat, Stealth pro. Might call around, see if that is an option in your area? If fishing, a fee rental for 4 hours up to a day, or take for free if not fishing but wanting to get one wet for a a couple hours.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It clears my knees, but I rowing longer distances in the hairy it's more comfortable to lay my legs on the foot bar instead on bracing them against the sides and in the foot bar. On a river I would rather brace my legs to get a better hold on the raft.

Thanks for t
Where are you located? I recently found a fly shop that will rent out Outcast fish cat, fat cat, Stealth pro. Might call around, see if that is an option in your area? If fishing, a fee rental for 4 hours up to a day, or take for free if not fishing but wanting to get one wet for a a couple hours.
We're located in Ashland, Oregon. However, we're up that direction periodically. Just got back from a month long trip to Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colorado and eastern Oregon. Most of the rivers were high but we caught a few fish nonetheless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a stealth pro for about three years now. I have gear bags on both sides and an anchor system on the nose. I put it in the back of my truck partially deflated, except for the floor. It takes about 4 minutes to reinflate. The foot bar takes a bit to get over with fins on when I'm fishing lakes, but once in it works great. I replaced the stock oars with 5 & 1/2 footers. It rows much better with them on lakes and rivers. I took it down the Kispiox last year and it rowed very well. It's a great boat for stability and maneuverability when fishing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully the OP still isn't on his maiden float three and a half years later if he ended up buying a stealth pro.
SF
Yeah I resurrected this thread because there really is not much info on this boat and whitewater use. I'm interested in this boat and curious if there is anything else you say about it (stealth).

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,752 Posts
Yeah I resurrected this thread because there really is not much info on this boat and whitewater use. I'm interested in this boat and curious if there is anything else you say about it (stealth).
Tough to recommend any frameless boat for true whitewater...ultimately depends on the person on the sticks, not the "rating" on the boat. Nice thing about these is that the draft is only a couple of inches so you can skirt around (or portage) just about anything..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the link - that is the best whitewater video I've seen for either the Stealth Pro or the Scout. I've got a Scout and so far I've only used mine for stillwater fishing. The low draft (2 inches) that Randall mentioned makes these boat very nimble. I made a PVC trolling motor mount for mine and the Scout also tracks really well 30 lb MinnKota - I would imagine the Stealth would be even better with the extra length.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think you should check out the NRS Gigbob. It's designed by white water guys and they have taken them down the Middle Fork of the Salmon. They are heavier than the Scout, made to inflate to 5-6 pounds and have a sturdier oarlock system. There is a guy who fishes the big Colorado reservoirs out of one with a 2 1/2 horsepower gas motor. I have taken my son out with me on mine a couple of times. We are both 6'2" but I have about 40 pounds of lard on him!

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Since you ask, I've never rowed one but have seen a few of them out in the field.
For some of the rivers I like to float, I'd pass on the stealth. Just a personal preference but I'd rather do whitewater in a raft with a frame and real oars and oar locks.
Not knocking the boat as I'm a big Aire / Outcast fan. I just think there are better rigs for that type of water.
SF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.