Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my outcast pac 8 before this was an option. Has anyone modified their pontoon boats to include a similar system? If not, do you know where I could find the parts needed for an external setup? :dunno

I was at Lenore on Saturday and just about passed out kicking into the wind trying to hold my position while in a "bobber-daze".:beathead Now I'm in the market...
Thanks.

YC

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Can do easily

How close to Tacoma are you? I can easily show you how to make the system. Depends on what type frame your outcast has (does it have the old swivel cleat anchor release off the rear anchor bracket???). I didn't like the outcasts anchor systems myself from the getgo. I modified it to a makeshift driftboat side pull system with a cleat to hold line. Can show you what it looks like on one of my older cataraft setups.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Can do easily

Would it be possible for you to post a picture for an eastsider to see??? I am looking at building a setup for my southfork within the next few weeks and trying to figure out what/how I should build it?? Or any suggestions or hints?? Thanks

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can do easily

I live in Yakima. My outcast does indeed have the swivel cleat that's arched above the rear platform. It's such a pain to use that it sits idle (besides adding some extra weight to carry :beathead ).

I'm looking for something a little more integrated than the Spring Creek - pocket puller setup. I already have enough "tanglers" ideally positioned on my boat to braid my clear intermediate line. Unfortunately that stuff has a better memory than I, but that's another post.

Any pictures you could post would be greatly appreciated.

YC

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Can do easily

I updated it....I messed up...I just really want to be a westsider like the rest of the people on this forum...cause the westsiders are soo much cooler than the eastsiders ;-) :p

~Patrick ><>

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Can do easily

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I think that if you go to several of the web sites about pontoon boats you will get a good idea how these things are made. They all seem to make them but the prices all vary. Just though this would help.

Jim

·
Registered
701 Posts
I can help I think.

I bought the same boat about 4 years ago. No anchor and no platform for a hard case or cooler.

I bought a peice of conduit that fit the interior of the frame and bent it to hold an anchor. It works great and as long as you aren't trying to make an elaborate setup, no need to buy a cleat or frame pulleys. The conduit was bent with a hand bender. The only hard part was the center bend where I attached a "U" bolt to hold the pulley and anchor above the water. I had to flatten the center a little so it would bend without creasing. Once you crease the conduit, you have to start all over. Fortunately, it only took one 10 foot peice to get it correct. We cut it in half and tried to do it the first time and failed but learned from our mistakes and did it right the second time.

The other thing to think about is the center of gravity. Adding a 12 pound weight and extending the gear storage back makes the boat off center so you will need to set your pontoons back to accomodate for the weight.

This setup can be ued in lakes without too much work except the rope length will need to be changed for rivers. I figured out about 10 feet for rivers and 30 for lakes.

e-mail me for questions.

TM101 :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Most pipes or tubes can be bent without a crease by first filling the pipe with sand which will distribute the force equally. Give it a try.
I use two anchors (the Cabela's folding type) and store each in the side compartments. But my system stinks and I need to come up with some sort of a plan. It is vital to anchor the boat exactly where you want it and then it must not move a jiggle, even in strong waves. T'aint easy.:dunno

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
If you decide to do your own work, let an experienced plumber or electrician bend the pipes for you in a bending fixture. They probably won't charge you anything for such a small job. Maybe beer money. Did you contact Outcast about this? They may have an aftermarket contact for you.They are very helpful.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I'll see what I can do

Problem is I don't have the outcast anymore (sold it ALONG time ago). I don't know if I can get whole system on one picture (I have a 10' x 6' frame). I was going to say if you were in area you could bring frame and I could show you how to retrofit. Hmmmm, will see what I can do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.