Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 1 1/2 hours talking with a gear guide at a SW WA boat launch last night. (he also does some fly stuff) He was as passionate about our wild fish as anyone I've talked to. The politics/science of wild fish management is pretty overwhelming, but he did a pretty good job explaining it. (MSY, history, tribal issues, ect.) It was interesting to learn how complicated gear fishing can be with all the different techniques for different conditions. He gave me his cell, and said to feel free to give him a ring if I wanted to know the conditions on the OP. I'm not trying to make a statement on wild fish management, because I don't know shit about shit. I just thought I'd share a cool experience I had hearing a gear guide's perspective.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Fly guys don't have a corner on the conservation market. Some of the gear fishermen that I know on the Skagit are the most passionate fishermen on the river. Many do far more than any others towards protecting the river and its fish.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Most gear guys are into conservation...but as there are more of them, the bad ones stand out. Also alot of people are hard core fisherman...and will use what they like depending on the conditions, sometimes fly, sometime gear.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Fly guys don't have a corner on the conservation market. Some of the gear fishermen that I know on the Skagit are the most passionate fishermen on the river. Many do far more than any others towards protecting the river and its fish.
Amen to that.....you shouldn't be surprised to learn a so-called "gear" guide knows his shit and cares about the resource. At the end of the day it isn't about how you fish, it is about following the law, being ethical and doing what you can to protect the resource. For some reason "gear" is a dirty word to a lot of flyfishermen. That makes me laugh. I call quite a few "gear" fishermen and guides my close personal friends and I put "gear" into quotation marks only because some of these guys are some of the most talented flyfishermen around.......they just don't talk about it much. They also, if given the choice, would rather take someone out who will use whatever technique is working best because that makes for a happier client in most cases. Some of them, over beers, will say that they have more hassles with their flyfishing clients than their "gear" clients because, in their experience, flyfishing clients tend to be a giant pain in the ass. "Oh fuck, Mingo is bringing his fairy wands into the boat"......."Jeebus Christ Ming, OK OK you can bring the *** sticks".......:rofl:

Shit, you can team up with a gear guide and have him tease fish within flyrod range, then trade off and both have fun. Fishing is fishing......as long as the people doing it are cool, they bring cold beer and they're fun to hang with....... I could care less how they fish.

Orangeradish, good for you for talking to and learning from that guide. At the end of the day, sportfishermen all have far more in common than not. We are all fighting the same battles.

A poacher is just a poacher, regardless of techniques used to poach (although cheap grocery store spinning rods do tend to be a favorite weapon of choice:rofl:)...and they are NOT fishermen, they are criminals.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the end of the day, sportfishermen all have far more in common than not. We are all fighting the same battles.
Thanks, man. That's what I walked away from the conversation with.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I spent 1 1/2 hours talking with a gear guide at a SW WA boat launch last night. (he also does some fly stuff) He was as passionate about our wild fish as anyone I've talked to. The politics/science of wild fish management is pretty overwhelming, but he did a pretty good job explaining it. (MSY, history, tribal issues, ect.) It was interesting to learn how complicated gear fishing can be with all the different techniques for different conditions. He gave me his cell, and said to feel free to give him a ring if I wanted to know the conditions on the OP. I'm not trying to make a statement on wild fish management, because I don't know shit about shit. I just thought I'd share a cool experience I had hearing a gear guide's perspective.
LOL, I've only been saying this for, hmmmmm, since the day I joined this site. ;)

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
There's nothing wrong with fishing gear. Most of us have from time to time. The rub comes around about every two years when the guys go to Wal-Mart and buy an outfit; then hit the beaches and leave their trash and crap laying all over the place in a quest for Pinks. Then they brag all winter about how many they slaughtered. Crap, anyone who can fling a buzz bomb thinks they're Jose` Wejebe out there. Problem is, they know or care little about conservation and wild fish but they translate their great luck into the next seasons and poach and kill their way through the next. It makes me sick!

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
As far as poaching goes: As someone in another recent thread said, poaching has a socio-economic roots. Other bad behavior probably has the same roots. Since gear fishing is far less expensive to get into, it makes sense that a poacher looking to put food on his table would choose gear fishing over fly fishing. The equipment choice is thus a secondary outcome, not a primary cause.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some poaching has socio-economic roots but a lot of it doesn't, just plain old greed. The first time I finally got to Vancouver Island, I was heading down the beach one morning and ran into a guy from California (ie. he has a reasonable amount of money to get to the Island). He seemed like a decent guy until a local guy and I happened to notice him dicking around with a fish for a long time. It turned out he was cutting the adipose fin off a wild coho so he could pretend that it was a hatchery fish and keep it. He had already killed another wild fish and done the same thing. That was one of the few times I've ever wished I carried a cell phone while fishing. In talking with friends in the fish and wildlife enforcement community, only once have I heard them talk about feeding the family as their excuse for poaching.

·
Registered
191 Posts
By a long ways I prefer to fly fish for any species of fish that I chase but I do gear fish on occasion. I always get the feeling on this site that gear guys are the dark side. I am willing to bet that most of us started with gear and killed a lot of fish in those days. We are not any better just because we fly fish. Some of my best buddies are gear guys and all of them are into conservation along with following the rules and regs for the species of fish that they pursue. I have seen fly guys that purposely "floss" fish to catch them. Is that method superior to gear fishing? I don't think so. Any one who practices conservation no matter what kind of gear they use is our ally in the fight to keep our fishing opportunities strong into the future. Get rid of the bad apples no matter what kind of gear that they fish with.

G

·
I remember les telling me when they formed the WSC if they had to count on the fly guys nothing would have happened...gear guys fish just as hard and care just as much..they also show up when it counts and will throw down if they have to... lol...

problem is the wal mart crowd and the bright green nets... think the first time I met haunted by waters he had on a yellow rain slicker, camo neoprene waders and a big aluminum net with bright green netting???? now look at him...
(bet he's grinding them teeth right about now...lol)

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
People are people. I fish both but I will say this, I've heard a whole lot more snide comments from gear guys than fly guys. The whole elitist thing seems like a big lie perpetrated by the self loathing and those with an inferiority complex.

Go Sox,
cds

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.