Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Intermediate wrap help needed

Rod Building 
787 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Flyguy65 
I stay away from intermediates when I can but when forced I use a tip shared by Dave Dozer. Note that this is my version of Dave’s tip, he probably does it differently.

When the guide is finished put a dilute coat of CP to seal and prevent unraveling. I use Al’s which dries quickly although anything that dries quickly will work. That done use cheap contrasting whipping thread to wrap from the guide all the way to where the intermediate starts. Do the intermediate against the thread wraps and tie off. CP the intermediate then pull the thread wrap to the guide. Sometimes I rewrap the thread to the spool and re-purpose but normally just toss it out. You can get exact perfect spacing by counting the wraps and the intermediate is totally square. You simply use thread as a spacer, using large size (usually cheaper) whipping thread works better.

Sounds like a lot of work but for me this is many times faster along with giving better results.

The down side is that it uses a lot of thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.