Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upper popper is normally the largest size I build. I have some mondo bodies for saltwater patterns and decided to finally use one of the big bodies.

I know a LMB will have no problem eating the thing but I may have a problem casting it!

Insect Arthropod Cartoon Creative arts Pest

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
I went to the big function at Red's yesterday and attended Steve Maeder's presentation on large mouth bass. Didn't get his friends name who guides in the Spokane area but between the two of them, they shared some very interesting information on LMB fishing and the LURES (uh, flies) they cast. Two of the jig flies they passed around would knock you cold if your cast was off water target and hit your head. I mean they were HUGE and HEAVY. They did talk about the casting technique too (sidearm, not overhead if I understood). It seems they like shorter rods than the "standard" 9 footers most of us use. I certainly don't have a rod that would cast those "knocker outers".

It was darn interesting but their presentation got cut short. Bummer.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I went to the big function at Red's yesterday and attended Steve Maeder's presentation on large mouth bass. Didn't get his friends name who guides in the Spokane area but between the two of them, they shared some very interesting information on LMB fishing and the LURES (uh, flies) they cast. Two of the jig flies they passed around would knock you cold if your cast was off water target and hit your head. I mean they were HUGE and HEAVY. They did talk about the casting technique too (sidearm, not overhead if I understood). It seems they like shorter rods than the "standard" 9 footers most of us use. I certainly don't have a rod that would cast those "knocker outers".

It was darn interesting but their presentation got cut short. Bummer.
I could be wrong but I assume you flip those jigs underhand similar to how the gear guys do it. Pressured bass are actually pretty skittish to a loud jig dropping on their head. The flip method would let you quietly drop it pin point into small openings in the reeds etc. You use the rod as a pendulum and keep your jig low to the water if that makes sense.

However the opposite can be true where loud is better as well. All depends where you are fishing. On Moses Lake those largemouth get absolutly pounded by tournaments all summer long. The good stretches of shoreline are well know. You need to be a ninja.

On some back water ponds of Frenchman for example the bass may never see a lure/fly. Those are the bass I like:D Potholes is a mix of the two. It's such a jungle back in potholes that the largemouth have areas that boats can't get to and I believe it helps replenish. That place is cool back there!

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I use a 6-weight bass taper dry line so it helps a lot for casting. I've also found that you don't want to use long leaders for casting poppers... the LMB are never leader shy when it comes to a surface pattern.

I was using a fast action 5 weight Sage last Saturday but it's a little too light for the larger poppers (BTW: the smaller popper shown in the photo was made with the largest LMB popper body Rainy sells and it fits on a 3/0 rubber worm hook... ).... so I've switched up my LMB rod to a fast action 6 weight Sage. At one time, I used a 8 weight and then a 7 weight rod for LMB popper fishing but the weight of the rods really pooped me out so I started using lighter rods.

With the 6 weight rod and short, heavy leader I shouldn't really have a problem casting (flipping) the mondo frog -- toad, maybe a better description.

And yes, gills try to eat the bass poppers all the time... sometimes I actually hook the aggressive little dudes. I have no idea why a bluegill would think it could fit such a large bug in their tiny mouths!

I am concerned about the hook gap for the mondo popper... it may not be wide enough but I used a long shank hook with the widest gap I could find in my assorted hooks. I may need to buy 5/0 worm hooks (if they sell such a thing) if the bass do hit the popper but don't stay hooked.

·
Old to the board
91 Posts
I understand that 9 wt rods are used to cast the bigger poppers. That's what I plan to use this summer.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can certainly use heavy weight rods to cast large poppers but I prefer to use the lightest weight rod I can get away with so I don't beat myself up casting all day.... and when it comes to poppers, I cast quite often... quite often... kind'a continually...

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe it or not, I've learned a lot about fishing for LMB by watching the Bass Masters type TV shows for many decades. They normally explain where they are fishing and at what time and why. I can usually apply that information to flyfishing tactics.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can certainly use heavy weight rods to cast large poppers but I prefer to use the lightest weight rod I can get away with so I don't beat myself up casting all day.... and when it comes to poppers, I cast quite often... quite often... kind'a continually...
That's kind of funny, I'm reading up on streamer fishing tactics, and this is the argument typically used in specifically the opposite direction that you're applying it: they often recommend using heavy 8 and 9wt rods for throwing large, heavy, wind resistant flies as opposed to the lightest rod you can get away with....so you don't beat yourself up all day casting.

Personally, I just think it's really subjective and you get used to whatever you use....just found it amusing that the same reasoning was being used to make the case in both directions.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A few years ago some manufacturers began making shorter length 8 wt. rods. I've a Winston BL5 8'3" #8 that makes punching out larger wind resistant flies easier and less physically stressful. I think Sage made something similar marketed for mangrove fishing.
The other way to help with casting popper style flies is to modify your line - cut back the tip; create a stiff, heavy butt for your leader - say 40# material, to help turn the fly over.
Bass R Fun !!!!

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they often recommend using heavy 8 and 9wt rods for throwing large, heavy, wind resistant flies as opposed to the lightest rod you can get away with....so you don't beat yourself up all day casting.
Well... they're 100% incorrect :D

Seriously, I've been playing this flyfishing for bass game a long, long time and I do better casting lighter weight rods than the broomsticks.... maybe if you're not accustomed to casting heavy bugs there might be some benefit to using the broomsticks but my experience has taught me that if I use a bass taper dry line and fairly short leaders, I don't need those hood prop rods :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well now you're changing what you're saying. A "heavy" rod like an 8wt is not necessarily a "broomstick" which is a descriptor of action.

That's like saying, "I don't need a big house, I prefer a brick house instead."

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Truth be told, I did by a 7 weight, 10 foot Sage specifically for bass fishing from an old style float tube. I could still use it if I wanted to... it really isn't very heavy. But now that I'm using a small pontoon boat I've found the 10 foot rod is a bit long and I really don't need it when I'm setting higher on the surface.

A 6 weight works fine for me but if you prefer the heavier weight rods, go ahead on.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally, I do most of my smallmouth fishing with a 6...but tossing the really big flies (2/0 half and half, deceiver, weighted zonkers, etc.) is (in my experience, at least) unquestionably easier with a proper 8wt. For smallies, though, I'm generally in the #2-6 range, which is a 6's bread and butter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.