Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to an orvis podcast about night fishing and it sounded like fun. But he only talked about southern states. Is there a night fishery in our state? Or is this just something done mainly in other parts of the country?

·
I swing, therefore i am.
629 Posts
Night is a fun time for trout with a mouse pattern in a desert lake or stream. Know the area well to be safe. I know you could fish bass as well. There are some who do it frequently though it take a lot of effort and determination. It is a different ball game.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
You will see regulations in WA state in some fisheries about night fishing. If something is closed, it is usually a salmon fishery to keep poachers at bay, is my guess.

In college, it was fun to introduce night fishing to pesty pals who wanted to become regular fishing partners.

I started them out night float tubing in my spare, and it was usually on moonless-windy nights near our eastern WA campus.

One trip was enough for all but one.

Desert night fishing? Big fish, big snakes.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Bass fishing can be fun & productive (until a beaver slaps the water behind your float tube & you immediately put the tube on plane, lol.). Just be aware of your surroundings. Seriously, the only thing I have any concerns about are people; I know what to expect from night-dwelling critters . . .

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Night is a fun time for trout with a mouse pattern in a desert lake or stream. Know the area well to be safe. I know you could fish bass as well. There are some who do it frequently though it take a lot of effort and determination. It is a different ball game.
Um....yah.

And don't decide to try it, without a headlamp. :(

I had to walk 3 miles back to the rig, on uneven terrain, without a light. There were rattlesnakes every 200-300 yards, with only the sound of rattles to let me know where not to step.

I was both mad and scared poopless for an hour and a half.

I missed more fish than I caught, but it was priceless!

Headlamp is a must....with extra batteries.

Reactions: Jim F.

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
I have fished lakes at night by myself and with one regular fishing buddy. I too learned that it can drive away potential new fishing partners when you take them out on cold, windy, fish-less nights. Unfortunately, that wasn't my intention but it does help shed light on a partner.

I've also learned that it can be really, really good or a total bomb - not that much different than daytime I guess! I learned the hard way to take not just a headlamp but a super bright flashlight, lest you get turned around in your tube and kick to the opposite end of the lake from where you parked the rig. It's a little creepy being out in the middle of a lake by yourself on a moonless night, especially when you bump into submerged log. The worst for me was fishing Lenore by myself on a beautiful calm peaceful night and having the tranquility spoiled by those big Lahontans bumping into my legs. I nearly jumped out of my waders each time and I had to remind myself that sea monsters don't exist.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I've fished Lenore at night (full moon, no headlamp, no flashlight and no Lahontan's bumping into my legs) but had a BLAST casting to visible rings till I screwed up my leader. Rocky Ford - years ago at night with light - but shorts and running shoes, mosquitoes got me. Lenice, no moon, no headlamp, no flashlight - rattlesnake buzzing (not buzzying) at the take out. I've learned through trial and stupid errors, carry a light. I don't do it when the weather is cold and nasty, I save that torture for trips to Canada and once, many years ago on the Skykomish. Wading into or crossing a river without benefit of the sun; not the smartest thing I've ever done.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have fished both fresh and salty at night and have had some remarkable experiences. A spring Chinook below the barrier dam was pretty cool at mid night. Lost it when it turned down river after 20 or so minutes of chasing around the pool. Trout going nuts on anything small and black and in the film on many different lakes. In coming Kings in late June and through out the summer feeding heavy on a full moon. A 15 or 20 pound King in the dark hooked in 45 feet of water is a spooky thing!

One night in late June I hooked into a real deal breaker. That SOB towed me around for better than half an hour and just would not stop . It was me in my 7 foot pram and "IT". I gained some and lost some but eventually I pulled into the beach and landed the SOB, it was a 48 pound halibut. The best fresh Halibut I ever had!

Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have fished lakes at night by myself and with one regular fishing buddy. I too learned that it can drive away potential new fishing partners when you take them out on cold, windy, fish-less nights. Unfortunately, that wasn't my intention but it does help shed light on a partner.

I've also learned that it can be really, really good or a total bomb - not that much different than daytime I guess! I learned the hard way to take not just a headlamp but a super bright flashlight, lest you get turned around in your tube and kick to the opposite end of the lake from where you parked the rig. It's a little creepy being out in the middle of a lake by yourself on a moonless night, especially when you bump into submerged log. The worst for me was fishing Lenore by myself on a beautiful calm peaceful night and having the tranquility spoiled by those big Lahontans bumping into my legs. I nearly jumped out of my waders each time and I had to remind myself that sea monsters don't exist.
I remember when I was down in Florida..... and chances were that wasn't a log....

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
My home lake back in MT is a great night fishery - listen for a splash or slurp as bruisers target giant Caddis & cast in the general direction - fun times! One of my Nephews & I headed for shore within several yards of each other one moonless night. When he finally turned his light on & pointed it in the direction where he thought he had been hearing me, he was looking at a young bull Moose. Likely the same one that swam through a small flotilla of 'toons & tubes earlier that evening. Fortunately, in both instances, Bullwinkle was a peaceful soul & a good neighbor. Hearing buzztails in the dark is a tad unnerving until you can locate them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.