Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- I guess the subject line says it all, or most anyways. I've read previous posts on the Cowlitz...they helped. Is the water generally too fast, too deep, just right, etc? I'm planning a trip there tomorrow. I can bring a float tube, but I'm only one man w/one auto...so I can't float TOO far. Thanks.

easygoer:beer2

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just one, actually...but I'm going for another. Ok, float tube's out. But as for my original question, is it wadeable in most places? Never been there.

I should explain where my float tube roots come from. My good bud that introduced me to float tubes floats the Kenai River every year in his tube. He still tries to get me to do it every year -I haven't accepted yet. It was plenty o' river for the raft & drift boats I've been on. That's the ONLY man I've ever seen tubin' it on the Kenai.

ANYWAY...can I find & wade many good stretches????? Probly below the Blue a ways.

easygoer

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't fished the cowlitz for years. But, you can wade at Blue Creek. Be prepared to fight the crowd. Also, the Barrier dam has a lot of bank access. Other than these two spots I'm not foo familiar with other bank access. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
#1: DO NOT use a float tube in the Cowlitz! Water is too fast and tricky and to top that, there is literally about 100 jet boats a day that will take your head-off in a second! Try upper Cowlitz Mayfield dam or near Blue Creek away from the crowds.
If you do go to Blue Creek, try 50yds to the right of the boat launch and wade out to a safe depth. If you are wading, use no more than a 5ft sink tip type3 and short 3-4ft leader/Floro tippet.
Most spey guys hang out there.. Good luck!
...Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.