Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
North Bend, WA
4,867 Posts
The N/M/S Forks are open year round. All are selective gear rules. The Middle Fork is C&R year round. The North & South Forks are C&K from June 1 - Oct 31, C&R the rest of the year.

The S.F. has kept coming back into shape. It's still a tad high for my liking, but it's fishable. Anything below 300 cfs, in general, is fishable but I prefer it when it's under 100.

It's really too bad they all haven't gone year round C&R. Those fisheries can produce some nice fish, but few make it to their potential. I'm not sure if that's present day impact, or the impact of years of selective C&K on the one time stocked population. Those are the cutts though. There seams to be growing numbers of bows in the system. A few here and there wouldn't surprise me but last year the numbers approach 50% in some areas. That would indicate to me some private hatchery escapement rather then migration up the river from the main stem.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have heard that rainbows will eventually drive off cutts, i.e. rainbows are more successful in the survival of the fittest thing. It's of concern to some game mangers, particulary in parts of West where cutts. seem to be on their last legs.
Bob:professor

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

While we are on the subject of the S/Fork I have a question. When I was coming back from fishing the Yak today I came down the Tinkham road. It looks like there are some good spots there or is it it just looks like it but it isn't.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
They can be hit and miss. Some stretches look great, but you can't buy a fish. Others seem to have a decent population. Pretty much expect fishing to be slower in those spots that are close to the road that look so inviting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.