Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really enjoy many types and methods of fly fishing, on many different waters.

To me, though, there is nothing finer than a day of walk and wade fly fishing on small to mid-sized rivers and large creeks, with a 7'9" to 8' fiberglass rod. The whole experience just soothes my soul, so to speak.

The rod might be a 4wt, 5wt or 6wt, depending on the water conditions, the size and types of flies I intend to use, and the size of fish I anticipate.

Anyway, what is your favorite for a fine day on the water?

· Registered
141 Posts
I tend to do alot of walking and observation of trout. I fish at least weekly and really enjoy the silence and abundance of wildlife riverine areas close by provide. I am actively hunting large trout in limestone fed creeks in PA area. Some are 25 ft wide at most. I am using a 6wt glass rod to fish 2.5" streamers. My favorite dry fly is a mouse.

· Registered
10 Posts
I’m much the same, prefer a day of walking freestones to floating a boat. Short glass rod, something between 7 - 8’, 3 or 4wt line. Dries on top are a blast, especially at dusk. Swinging soft hackles in the riffles is a perfect to just melt into the mid-day sun…

· Registered
12 Posts
With so many techniques and scenarios it is hard to choose one ultimate type of fly fishing. I will say that I once found myself in a bountiful BWO hatch in the middle of a rainstorm on my local river. Watching noses break the surface in harmony with the heavy drops of rainfall was magical. So much so that I actually put down my rod and just watched for dimples in the water, analyzing which came from above and below the surface. Fishing in the rain is special (as long as a rain jacket is packed and the lighting stays away).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts