Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After caught, noted: Jaw extended past eye. Orange slash below jaw (not showing in picture). Crimson stripe down entire side of fish. Fish was very large for very small, publicly accessed pond.

Fish Animal product Food Font Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Really hard to tell from your photo. It might help to know where it was caught. My guess would be that it may be a rainbow of the interior subspecies, Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri; trout of this subspecies often exhibit yellow or orange markings similar to those of the cutthroat

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Another picture. Would that sub species exhibit jaw extending past eye? Coloration is not properly shown in picture. Crimson down center line, yellow stripe below crimson, followed by a belly splash of Crimson below yellow. White on fin tips. This was a larger specimen estimated size 18".
Fish Font Fin Screenshot Terrestrial plant

Attachments

·
1,696 Posts
Thanks squatch, fought very hard, taking several runs. Caught in Easter WA, no name pond. Pond no where near Salt Water.
When I look at it, visually my reaction is "yes." But considering the location, that suggestions two options: 1) The WDFW has at some point stocked both species and they're successfully interbreeding--i.e., the lake has an inlet or outlet that has conditions sufficient for breeding. Or 2), the WDFW is planting hybrids.

I'm guessing #1 is unlikely and I've never heard of #2, which would lead me to think it isn't a hybrid.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last time I fished here was 3 years ago, at that time only Brook Trout were found, also large. On this trip I fished early am, late pm during a 3 day time period.

Brook's came out to play only during last day, hung out near the snags. Snags must have been a den for them to lay in wait for a ambush. Brook Trout Lair seen under the Brook Trout. Many dove back into that mess after hooked. A 15" fish does not come out willingly! Used a 10lb tippet to cast heavy streamers.
Water Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Tints and shades

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never before caught one, let alone several. Coloration was not like any other cutty I've caught. Each one fought very hard, moving my float tube! Oh, how could I forget, they jumped too!

Brookies stayed below deck, fought equally hard, diving into underwater snags. Did not wear waders, discovered a leach on my calf, just above wading shoes, that is freaky~

WDFW plants WestSlope Cutt's?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yes, WDFW plants westslope cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi) of the Twin Lakes stock in those areas which were formerly within their original native range (east of the Cascade range). In past years they were stocked widely in alpine lakes (many of which were barren prior to stocking) where they were commonly referred to as "Montana Blackspotted trout".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice Westslope cutty... caught a few of similar size this past spring at a lake the state started introducing them to a few yrs back , we are excited for how well they've done.. now I need to find some brookies in that range..thanks for sharing

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice Westslope cutty... caught a few of similar size this past spring at a lake the state started introducing them to a few yrs back , we are excited for how well they've done.. now I need to find some brookies in that range..thanks for sharing
Perhaps the game dept will plant that lake with Brook Trout too!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Perhaps the game dept will plant that lake with Brook Trout too!
Unfortunately not I've had several conversations with them about reintroducing the Brookies. "it used to be a Brook trout only lake" But a group of anti Brook trout people got together around 03'/04' and convinced the state to stop with the Brook's and go with either Cutthroat or Rainbow.. It was a great place for the Brookies a hard fishery but once ya figured out how to catch them you could catch till you literally got tired of it. fun times.. so the quest goes on for new Brookie waters.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Because brook trout do not necessarily require moving water to spawn, they do not have a particularly good record in small bodies of water here. The usual result their introduction is a quick descent into overpopulation and a lake filled with stunted, undersized brookies.

·
Registered
277 Posts
True in most cases, but in this case not the case due to a significant take of smaller ones by the non fly folks on a yearly basis it kept a nice balance for them to grow into the 14"-17" with few to 20" from time to time..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.