Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to spend a week in Jackson before heading to MD Anderson in Houston for more cancer treatments. Three days of float boat plus a little shore based fishing in YP and the Gros Ventre. I am letting one of the bigger outfitters handle the float logistics, they are starting us out at 8:00 which is a standard start time. I think a later start would help avoid some of the crush and fishing later in the day which might be more productive. Any thoughts on this? I figure I pay for 8 hours so it shouldn't matter when we start.
Second question, I gave caught bamboo bug pretty bad, will be bringing my Sweetgrass rods along. Been told that some guides aren't comfortable having bamboo on their rigs. Any thoughts on that topic?
I appreciate any comments, completely different game than my saltwater gig, so am like a noob that can cast but not mend worth a crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
The Gros Ventre is really bony right now. I looked at it last week and thought, "Where's the water?" The snake is fishing good, though. It's a great walk and wade stream, especially up in the parks. Some big cutts and browns.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Second question, I gave caught bamboo bug pretty bad, will be bringing my Sweetgrass rods along. Been told that some guides aren't comfortable having bamboo on their rigs.
Any guide that has a problem with a Sweetwater Rod being in his/her boat needs an attitude adjustment. Should be a great time, water conditions are good and the weather has been bordering the "pinch me" mark. Best of luck with your fishing, but more so with your getting better!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Its your trip so let your outfitter know what you want, including specific type of fishing opportunity like dry flies or streamers, etc.
If they have a problem with cane rods from a liability standpoint, let them know you're not concerned unless they step on one.
Good luck with your fishing and health! Nothing better than some great fishing to get positive about your treatments!!

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
yes! But boy has the town changed over the years! When I was first there, Sizzler was the "steak house", and it was the Jackson Hole we all knew about. We were there in Jack Dennis' shop looking for some tying material a few years ago, and the entire downtown had been turned into Wyoming's version of Rodeo Drive in La La land. And the little snowflake had no clue what i needed. There was only one fly shop, way off the main drag. I won't be going back.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
If you want to stalk some trout with cane you need to try Flat Creek on the Nat'l Elk Refuge. It opens August 1st. Very fun and beautiful place to walk/crawl with stealth looking for risers. Most of the cutts are big too.
I was like 16 first time I fished there and I hooked two fish and both fish took off into the undercut to the point the leader disappeared and then they got off. Huge undercut banks

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was like 16 first time I fished there and I hooked two fish and both fish took off into the undercut to the point the leader disappeared and then they got off. Huge undercut banks
I hooked a nice one a few years back that did that and ran quite a ways upstream under the bank and then came out and went up stream into the next run. I was fishing 6x and I just let it go and waded out to the bank and stuck my arm underneath in the three places my line was caught underneath the bank and managed to free the line and ultimately land the fish.
It's pretty amazing how far back from the edge those undercuts go. It was also kind of creepy digging around under there with my hand...

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
I hooked a nice one a few years back that did that and ran quite a ways upstream under the bank and then came out and went up stream into the next run. I was fishing 6x and I just let it go and waded out to the bank and stuck my arm underneath in the three places my line was caught underneath the bank and managed to free the line and ultimately land the fish.
It's pretty amazing how far back from the edge those undercuts go. It was also kind of creepy digging around under there with my hand...
In the fall, when the water is down a bit, some of those undercut banks are just an inch or two above the water. This is the only place I've fished risers where I could not see the surface, but could see the trout coming up. I was amazed that I could throw my BWO in upstream, have it float out of sight under the bank, and reappear at the bottom - if it was not taken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.