Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last saturday i about got swamped by a jetboat on the grand ronde. why in the world are they allowed on a small river like the ronde. not only do they piss everyone off but they are noisy. i was hoping a rock would find the bottom of their boat. mike w

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think WDFW is taking notice of the complaints, and from what I hear trying to close it to jet boats.

But its a shame they should have to even make it a rule, people should know better than to take one out there anyway.

·
The Dude Abides
2,467 Posts
that dude's pissing a lot of folks off from what i hear....

From what I understand, it's a safety issue, like what happened to you Mike. For that guy to get around at the flows it's at right now...he's got to motate at very, very fast speeds to get above the rocks

The Ronde isnt a place for jets......

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Boys Call the DNR of whatever they call the fish cops over there and BITCH !! , Then, Call em again !!! That's the way you'll get it stopped-

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
yea i was down there as well, and saw that guy. It had been a few years since i have seen a jet on the ronde. But it does happen. I agree that is not jet boat water. Seems kinda comical though. I would be pissed if he zoomed by me in a drift boat or raft that would not be pleasant.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Shit, double post-
Enlighten me, somebody, can you deleate a post here? Damn if i can figure it out- Probably simple as hell , all the acid ...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
Sadly, jetboats don't require any instruction on their safe operation.

The smaller the river, the more of a danger they are to themselves and others.

Like using cell phones while driving, I'm sure there will eventually be a restriction on jet boats in small rivers like the Nooch and Ronde.

FWIW - if their operators had more sense, it wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, I have one too. For the Skagit, Cowlitz, Snake, etc. ;)

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
606 Posts
last saturday i about got swamped by a jetboat on the grand ronde. why in the world are they allowed on a small river like the ronde. not only do they piss everyone off but they are noisy. i was hoping a rock would find the bottom of their boat. mike w
If you are wading so deep on the Ronde that you get swamped by a jet, you're doing it wrong! I cannot believe you would wish harm or even possible death to someone who is doing something totally legal, then preach how you want to save everyone.
everyone should get on the horn and call before someone gets hurt or rocked.
Make up your mind, is it death to all jetboaters or save the world? I know, I know, what ever makes YOU feel good about yourself.

Jets really do not have their place on the Ronde since it is such a small river. I personally have never seen one on the river, but that does not mean it doesn't happen. Are there really any documented boating accidents on the Ronde? I am sure a few have happened over the years, but google came up short for me. Does it suck to have a boat blast through your run? YES. Does it ruin the fishing for ever? Maybe for 1/2 hour or so, but they will bite again. I had a jet run a local river this weekend in really low water conditions, and put down the pod of risers I was targeting. Did I cry about it on the interwebs and hope he crashed and burned. NO. I just waved as he went by, sat down with the dog and waited for a little while.

Man I really need to stick with only 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

·
Adipossessed!
879 Posts
If you are wading so deep on the Ronde that you get swamped by a jet, you're doing it wrong! I cannot believe you would wish harm or even possible death to someone who is doing something totally legal, then preach how you want to save everyone.
Well, Jet boats can go in water 6 inches or less. I have to admit, I wade in water deeper than 6 inches and it was not too deep, and I hope I was not doing it wrong.

·
Confrimed Reprobate
275 Posts
I had this happen to me on a river here in California. I got the number from the boat and lodged a "Reckless Endangerment" charge against the guy with the local sheriff's office. They investigated (I had two witnesses, neither of whom were friends, who gave statements verifying what I had reported) and then took it to the DA's office where a criminal complaint confirmed and a warrant was issued. It meant some time from me and some effort but it was worth it. The guy was given a restraining order and could not use his jet boat for five years, plus he was fined $1500. Have to note he was a real smart ass in court thinking he could talk down to the judge...big mistake. More judges like this would increase our odds on the rivers. I would be surprised if WA didn't also have laws concerning such behavior.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
More judges like this would increase our odds on the rivers. I would be surprised if WA didn't also have laws concerning such behavior.
I don't know what it is but something about that comment strikes me as being funny. Relying on judges handing out boating citations to help increase our odds? Odds of what?

Unfortunately common sense isn't common because if it was everyone would have some.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.