Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reread the "Complete Book of Fly Fishing" by Joe Brooks. Copyrighted in 1958. It is a great window to the days of fly fishing in the 1930's, 40's and 50's. Rods were bamboo or fiberglass. A fly line was "greased" to make it float. Many of the flies are all but unknown or have morphed into the patterns we fish today. He offers great lessons on casting and presentation of flies to various species of fish by talking about a specific fishing situation.

For anyone unfamiliar with Joe Brooks, he is credited with pioneering fly fishing for striped bass and reportedly took the fist bonefish ever caught on a fly in the 40's. He has stories of catching fish throughout the US, Canada, Europe and South America. It is a rare glimpse at what fly fishing was all about "in the real good old days" - Atlantic salmon in Canada, Norway and Scotland; brown trout in Montana and Argentina; bone fish and tarpon in Florida. He uses these and many more experiences to impart his teaching.

Anyway, it is a great book. I thought I had lost it years ago. Thankfully, my ex called me to say she'd found it and an old box of books. Doubt it is still in print, but I would highly recommend it - if you can find one.

SteveO2

I read it around the campfire after fishing my favorite east Cascade stream full of nice little trout. What a joy..... except for the black flies and mosquitos, but what the hell that's fishing.
(I don't know if I'm as old and the "Old Man", but at times I feel like it.)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Great read, it was one of the first books I read on flyfishing. I found it in the b'ham library. I'm not sure if this is from that particular book but one thing that has stuck with me over the years is a quote from one of his books,( I paraphrase) " Instead of trying to fix every thing around you, pick one thing and give yourself to that and you can make a difference". If everyone did that, the world would be a better place!

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
381 Posts
Joe Brooks also fished nymphs on a full sink line something we do not do so much today, this method was the predecessor to the Teeny Nymph method.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
joe brooks series of blonde flies, are as effective as any single hooked streamer pattern for browns. That man caught many 10 lbers out of the yellowstone on it and I still keep a few around. He realized that the natural buoyancy of bucktail was the key, still today many anglers not just fly fisherman dont give enough notion to buoyancy. Sure, a pattern may look perfectly like a fish but in the water it looks and acts nothing like one because of buoyancy. He was throwing 6 inch baitfish flies 60 years ago on sinking lines. Thats all you need to know right there.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
I'm gonna have to get this book, it sound like the perfect read, and thanks!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I began my fly fishing journey in the mid-1950s and Joe Brooks was one of my fly fishing heros. I read everything he wrote that I could get my hands on. I tried to apply what I gleaned from his (and others) writings from many exotic locations to my own fishing as I explored my own exotic waters (forks of the Snoqualmie -LOL).

Many of his observations and approaches to the fishing game are still as valid as they were more than a 1/2 century ago and like Steve I think many of today's readers will find much of his stuff intersting reading.

Tight lines
Curt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.