Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone.

I will be visiting my hometown of Bellingham the first week in August and want to know if anyone has seen the giant green drakes in the air. I was there a few years ago at the same time and hit a monster hatch of green drakes on Lake Whatcom... Caught some really nice silvers on anything big and yellow or green that evening. Also a few nice cutts. Hoping to make that happen again. I was casting about 30 feet out from a dock and the silvers were running right there, porpoising all over the place. The Drakes were about 2 - 2.5 inches long.

Thanks for any tips
Brian

·
1,255 Posts
Brian,

Can't answer your question, but I can tell you they wouldn't have been (Western) Green Drakes, as Drunella grandis are only found in moving water. Given the size and timing, you are probably talking about Hex (Hexagenia), which do emerge in stillwaters. However, they generally emerge at night, and timing it right, even on Merrill, where they are relatively profuse, can be problematic. On the other hand, you might be one of those fellows who wins the lottery more than once, so go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hex! yes those are them. Thanks. I was just thinking of a big fly. yes they are huge and I could hear my rod smacking into them on every forward cast. I know they don't hatch for long, and am hoping that the late, long spring has held them off till later again this year. I forgot about Merrill. Haven't been there in over 20 years... maybe I'll try both. Last fall I bought my 8 year old daughter her first outfit and she is a stellar caster, so I want to get her onto a good hatch and ruin her fishing expectations for life!...Ha. No she can go all day and not catch anything and still have a blast. Made for the sport.

Thanks for straightening me out.
BC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.