Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the tribes and the state signed an agreement to open salmon fishing to rec fishing in PS and its rivers. As a river angler I was not 100% sure on if my local river would be open for Steelhead tomorrow. The press release makes it sound like its coming soon and that we can "make plans to fish" but no dates are really available.
Yes I know we are waiting for NOAA I did more reading on this site before I posted this. And of course the PDF pamphlet you can download shows most PS rivers opening on June 1st. My elderly dad who does not use computers or the internet will not know the rivers are closed. All he see's is the local news talking about the big agreement that was reached and his pamphlet says it opens June 1st. I know there will be people on my local river tomorrow morning fishing, the state fish guy I called said they wont be giving out many tickets as warnings. Also hope they have enough staff to make a difference.

What does this forum think? Are the rules clear enough for the average angler? Keep in mind that most of us watch the topic like hawks. I know some hermit steel-headers that don't even own smart phones.

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
I agree, it for sure is not clear enough, especially with multiple sources out there presenting different information. I'm so busy at work I won't be available to fish until June 7 anyways but hopefully the air is cleared with a formal amendment to the regs before then so I know what to expect this season.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Obvious the opener is on hold until the feds approve the co-manager Puget Sound salmon seasons and in that process provides the ESA chinook take authorization for the various game fish seasons - stay tune.

Even in a so-called "normal" year the summer steelhead opener is confusing enough. Generally speaking if the river has a summer salmon season it ups June first but if just a game fish opener it opens the first Saturday in June. For example the Skykomish opens June first (even though the portion above the Wallace has no summer salmon season. The Snoqualmie below the Falls opens the first Saturday of June as does the North Fork of the Stillaguamish. On the Skagit (where there is a spring Chinook season between Rockport and Marblemount) opens June first, the Sauk opens the first Saturday in June, the lower Cascade between its mouth and the Rockport-Cascade Rd. Bridge opens June first but the Cascade above the Rockport-Cascade Rd bridge opens the first Saturday of June. Confused yet?

Curt

·
Registered
483 Posts
Clear as mud, Curt! Thanks!

Jim B.

Reactions: Bob Triggs

·
Registered
104 Posts
When....what the hell when...did we get to this point when I have to check my email, my face book page and my twitter to find out if a section of a river can be fished..Unless I have a long braided ponytail and a net.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
So a month late and then two months short.
Three and a half months straight for me for what I like to fish for.

While not perfect by any means, I hope folks enjoy the opportunities they get this year.....because next year will likely be about the same if not worse.
SF

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.