Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually go fishing with my boyfriend-but not tomorrow so I was wondering if anyone could give me any good advice on fishing the upper Yak-I only want to wade-no boat. Any help or advice on places to check out would be very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
don't fall in?
Dustin, have you never asked for advice? Assistance? Support? Encouragement? Harsh dude, come back down to Earth...or refrain from hitting that "Post Quick Reply" button.

Sea-Monster, hope you had a nice time on the Yakima. I bet there are some around here that would like to know how it went and if you went home with bragging rights over the boyfriend.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Too bad she didn't ask sooner than Saturday. I could of helped her out with a few spots in the Easton area.
And still a sucker for the ladies, good, that's the way it aught to be. Sea-monster, if the old man lets loose with any info, it's gonna be good so use it. Good luck

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
Mumbles, I think don't fall in is good advice. Let me explain.

I do alot of my fishing solo and on foot, and every time I am wading in potentially dangerous water falling in is one of my top risks. It is very easy to get a foot entrapped in between rocks and quickly be in a very bad situation. As fall is approaching and its getting colder it becomes even more of a risk.

Although I have only been flyfishing a for a few years, I have yet to fall in with waders on :eek:

I have fished the upper yak/cle elum on foot before and I remember some hairy wading. I didn't find any fish either, so I hesitate to claim what flies will work well. Hopefully the october caddis will be active for you!

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Dustin, you started here:
don't fall in?
And went to here:
Mumbles, I think don't fall in is good advice. Let me explain.

I do alot of my fishing solo and on foot, and every time I am wading in potentially dangerous water falling in is one of my top risks. It is very easy to get a foot entrapped in between rocks and quickly be in a very bad situation. As fall is approaching and its getting colder it becomes even more of a risk.

Although I have only been flyfishing a for a few years, I have yet to fall in with waders on :eek:

I have fished the upper yak/cle elum on foot before and I remember some hairy wading. I didn't find any fish either, so I hesitate to claim what flies will work well. Hopefully the october caddis will be active for you!
Pretty big interpretive gap, wouldn't you say? Sometimes shouldn't we help someone new out and not be so quick to give them a one liner that might not grow our sport?

·
Hey you guys
664 Posts
I see no battle forming over this one and if it is then it is pretty skinny. No one enjoys a quick witted one liner more than me, receiving or giving it. Now then I seem to get wet darn near each time I go out so it would fit me but I really don't think she was looking for "that" one liner.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My point exactly, no reason to work up a sweat over a one liner.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I've fell in several times and with waders on. One time on the Sauk when I was wearing those big rubber chest highs. I had on a big wide belt so I didn't get to wet. and another time I was wearing those Hodgman waist highs. I was glad I had them cinched up tight at the waist so only my upper half got wet and this was in the middle of winter also on the Sauk where the Suaittle runs in.

You can fall at anytime as you can't see under water when it is murky and you trip over something you didn't see.

Hell I took a tumble here in Montana and I wasn't even wading. I was walking to the creek thru some bush's and tripped over a stick half buried in the dirt. That tore my knee up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for some of the advice I got here-I went-I had a lot of fun and I caught one small-ish trout and did't even fall in-I will call this a good day. A number of big black ants were roaming around and a couple landed on me-so I was able to tie a black ant on my line for the first time ever and try that out...didn't work but it was fun to try anyhow.
For all the guys that were defending my honor-because I am a girl or I am someone asking for advice, not sure which-I would just like to point out that the "don't fall in" comment was made at 1:58 am Saturday (technically Sunday)-I don't want to judge but if a fella is on a fly fishing forum at 2am Saturday night (technically Sunday) giving out good advice might not be his strong suit. Haha.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Way to put the ant observation into action. Well played.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.