Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather could not have been more different from here; cold (40-50), constant rain, and high, brown rivers. Most of the rivers were blown out and unfishable right now, including the Babine, Bulkley, and Kispiox. I was on the Sustut and it fished every day, but it was tough work for the fish.

The good news is that the fish are in thick and the runs are quite strong. Our group of 9 managed to land 30-35 fish for the week with twice that many lost, including some big ones.

If you are planning a trip this year bring your biggest flies, heaviest tips, and all your warm clothes.

Circlespey

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more questions on the Sustut

I picked the Sustut for the reasons you said; there are only 18 anglers per week (two lodges) and it's all fly-in. The lodges have a good agreement on exactly where and when to split the water each day, so you are never racing for a hole. There's a landing strip there now so no need for floatplanes. However, we were so socked in with weather that we had to wait two days to leave, and some in our group called in the chopper to get out.

I was using my heaviest Rio type 6 tips and big weighted articulated leeches most of the time. If I had been using a 1H rod, the T300 would have been perfect, but I do all my steelhead fishing is with a 2H rod. The fish were pushed into the banks by high water so long casting wasn't necessary, but backcast room was nonexistent in some spots, so the 2H rod was better.

Let me know if you want to know more. I am sure you will find fish up there as all the locals were talking about the strength of the runs on all the rivers. If you want to see a nice pic from up there check out the picture gallery; Chris just posted a picture I sent him of a big steelhead.

Circlespey

·
Registered
64 Posts
"Big steelhead" is an understatement!

That is a very girthy buck! It looks a little shorter and fatter than the "usual" Skeena trophy dimensions of 40" x 20". Certainly a fish-of-a-lifetime on fly. Did you get a tape on him or weigh in the net? Beautiful colors, too.

"Poor loops, but at least the fly is landing farther out than the main line these days"

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few more questions on the Sustut

The Sustut is one of my "dream destinations". I understand there are three lodges and it's all helicopter/ floatplane fly-in, fly-out fishing. However, I haven't actually read anything by a "real person" on how the river fishes, accommodation, value-for-money, etc.

Any tackle hints would be welcomed as well, but I imagine it was T-300's (or worse) and big leeches and the like.

I'll be starting from Terrace in a couple of week's time. Unless Mugwa's band kidnaps us and we do a forced two week march we won't see the Sustut. As of yesterday the Skeena tribs around town were running high as well so it sounds like there's a lot of rain up north this fall.

"Poor loops, but at least the fly is landing farther out than the main line these days"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.