Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Scott Willison
276 Posts
It's been a few years since I've fished the Holy Water on the upper Kalama, but there's a lot of water up there to cover, the fish tend to be relatively spread out, and hiking/walk in options abound. I assume you're asking about the year-round fly fishing only section upstream of the 2nd hatchery. If you're referring to the lower section that goes fly only on 9/1 (deadline at lower hatchery to Modrow Bridge), that can be another story altogether. While it's still possible to find some seclusion if you can float the river or do a little walking, many of the popular runs like Beginners Hole are typically packed with fall kings in September and October and may be swarming with just as many anglers, snaggers...it can be Kombat Fishing with a capital K. If you're looking for solitude I would opt for the upper "Holy Water" above the 2nd hatchery. There should be decent numbers of fish this year as the WDFW has been allowing hatchery steelhead to pass above Kalama Falls and mingle with wild stocks. If you do fish the upper river, please bear in mind that both wild and fin-clipped fish must be released.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.