Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RiverFishing

Do we have anyone out there who is familiar with the Kalama River? My wife is coming to Vancouver this weekend and I'm getting to tag along while she's in a two-day conference.
I've got Greg Thomas' book and it looks like the Kalama is an attractive destination. I'd sure like to hear from someone who knows something about the river and could point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for any secrets, just something in the way of up-to-date prospects.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Practice your roll cast for this river, bank and trees are literally on your back, but nice narrow waters and pools. I was there last thursday and it was milky green, only 8-12 inches of visibility due to all the rain. First time being there and went into the canyon and waded below just right off the road almost to the second hatchery. Check out Jim Teeney's Steelhead video, I hear he taped that video at the Kalama in 87'. Hmmm
Good luck! Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
The Kalama was virtually un-fishable yesterday, but hopefully she'll clear over the next few days and offer you some possibilities. Greg Thomas' book is a pretty good resource but you could also check in at Prichard's fly shop, which is on the Kalama river road for more info before you start to fish.

Best of luck,
Skinny

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RiverFishing

Thanks to those of you who have given me some direction for this weekend on the Kalama. I feel much more prepared and now will hope for good conditions and yet will know there's still good water even if it does rain some more.

Also appreciated the heads-up on roll-casting and the pointer to the local fly shop!

Tight Lines, Y'All

Mike :thumb

G

·
Get Life Insurance!

Its basically at flood stage and wading would be very dangerous right now. The Greased Line in Vancouver would be another good place to go for info. Mark ties some beautiful steelhead flies (pick up an after-dinner mint, yes its a real fly.) If you've never been, its a beatiful drive up Kalama River Road even if its a little blown out this week.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get Life Insurance!

RiverFishing

Geez...I guess I need to have my wife plan her conferences a little better!

Actually, thanks for the update. Since I'm going to be there anyway, I think I'll follow your advice. As for life insurance, last time, I checked, I was worth more dead than alive, if you count life insurance. But I've got lots more fishing to do before I check out, Lord willing.

Thanks again for the up-to-the minute water conditions report!

Mike :eek

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get Life Insurance!

RiverFishing

Just wanted you to know I did go up to the Kalama today just to give it a look and even found a place to fish from the bank, as it was just a little high and swift for my taste, and I ended up with not too much time to explore. Got one bump from a steelie and that was a bonus - what a beautiful spot!
Also stopped in at the Greased Line on Saturday. I didn't meet Mark but instead talked to his employee - the fellow who's a retired teacher - really nice guy, nice shop, too. And I got me three of the "after-dinner mints."
Thanks again for the info. Can't wait to get back and spend some "reel" time on that river!

Mike:thumb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.