Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any reccomendations for fishing up around kamloops B.C?
I know the big Thompson but nothing else. Any advice would be great, along with tactics, and flies.
thanks guys.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Me and my boyfriend are going to be 50km above Kamloops in less than two weeks. We'll be fishing hike in lakes for Kamloops trout. GOOD TIMES!! If you're thinking the Thompson, though, you're probably looking for fish other than trout!

For trout, the there are countless lakes in that region you can hit. For patterns and a great map, www.littlefort.com is a great connection. Steve Raymond's book on Kamloops Trout is really informative as well.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you want to head way north go to the Thuya Lakes fishing camp out of little fort (about 7 hours drive from Seattle and two hours north of Kamploops). There are two lakes in the camp and perhaps another dozen within a short drive of the camp. Some of the lakes have lots of pansized fish and others have 12-24 inch fish. They have rustic cabins with propane and running water and central toilets. The lodge rents boats on most of the lakes. The camp is between 4000 and 5000 feet up which means it will fish well into August. Thuya Lakes Lodge has a website which I'm sure you can find if you search. During the day a sinking line and a wooly bugger or carey special is the ticket. At dusk there is usually a big rise which can be fished with a 16-20 dry midge. You may also see #8-12 olive sedges.

Knouff lake (1 hour north of Kamploops is a beautiful lake with clear water, numerous shoals and five sunken islands. I caught a 24 inch, five pound kamploops trout on a dry fly fishing over a sunken island at Knouff. There is a camp on Knouff which rents cabins and rowboats as well. Knouff gets an outstanding sedge hatch in the last two weeks of June and first two weeks of July. Have done well there with dry olive sedges and with a wet 10-12 olive shrimp.

If you are planning of going the the next few weeks the lakes between Merritt and Kamploops (Corbett, Glimpse, Plateau) deserve your attention. Glimpse is a thin hourglass shaped lake with a large dropoff where the lake narrows. If has 12-20 inch trout which you can catch by fishing a damsel fly, dragonfly or nymph over the dropoff. You can fish glimpse with a floattube but it will be a long haul from the public access site to the best fishing. Glimpse if a lower elevation lake so fishing will slow as the lake warms later this month.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'm embarrassed to post after that beauty by CWUgirl. What can I say? You probably all ready know this as good a fisherman as you are, but most Kamloops area lakes have reeds at one end or the other. If it doesn't, then I don't risk it and go somewhere else because it could signal deep water and I don't fly fish deep water.
I throw dries, mostly Tom Thumbs, directly at the reeds and sometimes right into them. Then I back out to where the drop-off starts and fish chironomids up and down till I get something. If I don't, I curse loudly, badmouth the
lake, the Canadians, Canada, the Northern Hemisphere and I return to camp for a glass of Mr. J. Beam.
But if I get just one fish, then I praise the fish gods, the lake, the Canadians, Canada etc. and fish until after dark. Black leeches thrown around the same reeds at dark can produce fearsome strikes.
Bob :beer2

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Just back from five days in the area, the first three days on Lundbom Lake 11 miles s.e. of Merritt. Terrible results! One lost trout the whole time. Few others seemed to be doing better, although one angler claimed four on a leech at 14 feet for the morning. Too much wind much of the time, as the lake's shoreline is 2/3ds open grassland.
Lac Le June, about 40 miles north of Merritt, was even windier, producing zero strikes in six hours. But little Stake Lake, about 2.5 miles to the north, produced several good little Kamloops rainbows in several hours.
It's been cooler than usual there, so I don't think the lakes are affected by summer doldrums. I'm not sure what my problem was. x(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.