Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted by Piscean in the Lake Washington string. Some of us have an interest in Kayak fishing. I am building up a 17 foot two place kayak this winter. I have compleated several mini-projects on the boat.
I cut large blocks of open-cell foam on my band saw. Then sealed them with waterproof floor coating and stuffed them in the bow and stern for extra floatation.
I have mounted paddle clips so I will have a place to stow the paddle while I'm fishing.
I am building a mount for my trolling motor (not so much for fishing as for boat riding when the action is slow).
I have added a rod holder for while I'm paddling and an anchor to control wind drift.
How about you? Do any of you have kayak/canoe projects going on this winter?
Rollcast

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Gee, it sounds like you are more abitious than me and you must have alot more free time than I do... ;)

Anyway, my wife and I put a deposit down on hobie mirage kayaks (see atached pic) after a test float last sunday...these things really move through the water! much faster than conventional kayaks.plus your hands are free to cast... I'm getting the fishing model and the classic cruiser is for my wife...

I really hate my float tube...it was high time time to upgrade to something truly cool...

Now I can't wait for the first warm day to get out there an use it....stillwater trout beware!

Piscean
Calmness is power....

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Well Roll Cast it seems like your kayak is coming together. We will have to meet up at some lake this summer so I can see how it turned out. Mine is still just the basic with a rod holder anchor etc just like when we talked before. Piscean I am wondering what on that Mirage kayak allows your hands to be free and how stable of a platform is it. Are your hands just free when not rowing or does it have another mode of motion? Welcome to the fun of fishing from a kayak.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice looking boat and it does look fast. I see the paddle secured on the side. I also see foot controls for the rudder. When you say hands free for casting do you mean drifting with wind or current and steering with your feet? Thanks, Jim. :)

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Its pedal powered!

The mirage is powered by a design award winning hydro sail pedal drive system...which propels the craft at a cruising speed of 5-6 mph...:thumb

The paddle is just for emergencies and tricky navigation

Hobie really designed these well with all the bells and whitsles...Beats the hell out of a pontoon boat for speedy cruising in still water...even moderate current.

Check out the hobie site or view the attached .jpeg

·
Registered
906 Posts
Last weekend while beach fishing I met a guy launching a beautiful wood sea kayak. He'd built it himself from a kit he purchased from a company in Port Townsend - claimed it was really easy to build. He said it cost less than $1,000 and the boat was lighter and quieter than a fiberglass kayak. I was impressed!

Tom

·
Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
17 Posts
Tom B,

The company you are talking about is Pygmy Kayaks. They really are nice boats. They are very light and track really well. Fast.

If you really want to see a beautiful wood boat, you have to check out the cedar strip kayaks. These have much smoother lines that the plywood panel boats like the Pygmies. I am sitting on some plans for a Redfish cedar strip kayak and then I went and bought a house with a garage that is too small for the project. I'm waiting until the next house...

www.pygmyboats.com

www.redfishkayak.com

Steve

·
Pete Rouse
20 Posts
I have a Wilderness Systems Ride sit-on-top kayak, rigged for fishing, that I have been using out in the Sound and various lakes this past year. It is somewhat sluggish in the water, but is very stable. I can stand on it and cast on stillwater likes pretty easily.

This spring, I am modifying a trolling motor to mount through the scupper hole in the middle of the boat. This is primary so that I can control the speed of my drift much better when fishing around rips in the sound. I also have modified a Fishing Buddy fish finder I had for my float tube to allow me to read bottom structure.

It has been an interesting experience so far, and has really opened up a lot of fishing areas to me. Here are a couple of links regarding kayak fishing if any of you are interested....

pete

http://www.kayakfishing.com/

http://madpaddlers.com/mcart/index.cgi?ID=JUDZQL&task=show&cat=Kayaks+-+Fishing

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
No problem....you put the fins in UP position so they lay snuggly against the hull and you can beach the boat easily...The hull is virtually bullet proof plastic so rocks can't really hurt it...

Hobie has really thought of everything....the reviews are all very good...On the down side the boat is a bit heavy and not cheap...

I'll post a full report later

-Piscean:thumb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.