Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the past week in the North Fork Clearwater area of Idaho, pursuing cutthroat in Kelly Creek and the Black Canyon section of the North Fork. Rivers are still a bit challenging (i.e., high, fast water) but fishing was productive. My wife and I joined my brother and his wife, with my folks holding down camp and watching our dogs (my 1-year-old yellow lab and Jim's 2-year-old golden retriever) while we worked the rivers.

The flows started out a bit lower than this time last year, but three days of rain kicked the water levels back up above 7,000cfs. Not the easiest wading, but doable.

Action was a bit slow, but we were able to bring in 5-7 fish per person, per day even during the rain days. Kelly proved the more productive of the two forks. Most fish were in the 13-15" range, with a few 8-12" fish and a couple lunkers. I brought in a bright 20" west slope cut, and Donna netted an 18" fish that was also beautifully colored -- bright red gill covers, crimson throat slash, and golden flanks.

We did a couple morning hikes and ATV rides (my dad trailered in his and my brother's quads) and managed to spot several moose, a couple herds of elk, and bunch of deer.

All in all, a fantastic week despite the mixed weather and marginal river conditions. View attachment 32255 View attachment 32256 View attachment 32257 View attachment 32258 View attachment 32259 View attachment 32260 View attachment 32261 View attachment 32262 View attachment 32263 View attachment 32264

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Dan, great trip report and photos. Thanks for sharing. Kelly Creek is on my to do list, and very close to the top.

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, what route did you take to Kelly Creek? Do you know if Hoodoo Pass is open and if so, what is the condition of the road.

Thanks, Greg
We headed up through Orofino & Pierce, but ran into a couple anglers who came over Hoodoo from Superior. That road is open with just a little rough/rutted section near the pass according to them. The road in from Pierce is even rougher than normal -- tons of potholes, but the USFS is working on it, starting at thhe Kelly Creek Work Center and working downstream. They have a gravel mining operation in the works right at the Work Center (actually, just above the road) and will likely be working there for a month or more, I'd guess, and some delays should be expected as the grade and resurface the road. Also, looked like a little work was being done up Moose Creek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.