Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not looking for what rock to stand on or anything like that just a little advice :cool: Anyone know the South Fork of the Kern River in Califorina and can advise on the best time of year to do some fishing or have the contact info of a good fly shop in the area?

Thanks in advance for any information.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Easy and I agree Cal has some beautiful areas.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I fished it a lot back in the 60's so I can give you no advice nowadays. But I have lots of good memories of the area. My best memory is of of cruising the canyon in my Porsche roadster with the top down. Those early Porsche's oversteered like crazy and those tight canyon switchbacks were the perfect canvas for putting down some serious rubber. Hanging the tail out on sharp turns, cranking in a little negative lock and steering with the throttle-sometimes with smoke filling the cockpit-was truly exhilarating. Kinda like the nonsense you see on TOP GEAR these days but 45 years earlier!

AHHH! the good ole days........

Ive

·
Everyday is a sweater day in Port Angeles!!
2 Posts
The Kern River can be an amazing river in the fall, the flows will have finallly dropped. Stop by the Kern River Fly Shop in Kernville and talk to Guy Jeans. He has a couple of excellent dvd's called Fly Fishing the Sierra Vol I & II. The hot local fly is a Kern River emerger which you can pick up in the shop. The lower river will be crowded on the weekends with rafters, tubers, kayakers from LA and Bakersfield. The upper river beyond the Johnsondale Bridge is special regulation and offers the best fishing. The higher in the backcountry you go the cooler the temperature gets as well as a chance of finding California Golden Trout (small but beautiful wild fish). There is a good forum called Kern River Fly Fishing Forum (imagine that!). Good luck. The picture on my sign in is of the Kern River last summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.